NEW ORLEANS GRAND ISLE INTERNATIONAL SPEARFISHING TOURNAMENT

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

NEW ORLEANS GRAND ISLE INTERNATIONAL SPEARFISHING TOURNAMENT

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

I thought you might like to share a bit of nostalgia with me.

Back in 1958 through 1963 myself and nine other divers formed the New Orleans Grand Isle international spear fishing tournament.
You can see by the pictures the fish were big, and the prizes were great, including the new sports car. The competition was fierce. But at night in Cajun country the good times rolled. Besides private boats shrimp boats and oil company crew boats were rented to go out to the rigs to compete.

There were ten categories of fish, Jewfish, grouper, barracuda, shark, cobia, snapper, etc. There were first, second, and third places on the leader board. People from all over the world came to dive and compete. The NOGI was held at Grand Isle Louisiana which offered hundreds of oil rigs to dive. It was like Sea World, with thousands of fish under the rigs, and hundreds of species.The NOGI trophy was hand carved by renowned artist Vero Puccio, from Honduran mahogany.

In New Orleans we had a yearlong competition also. From Jan. 1st through December 31st. nine or ten clubs participated culminating each spring with trophy and prizes awarded. Each diver had to shoot and land his fish unassisted. No one was allowed to touch the diver or his spear gun while he fought his fish. Not until he brought it up to his boat was he afforded any help. We sometimes wore leather welding jackets as chafing gear and football helmets to protect us from the large barnacles and debris under the rigs. The oil companies tossed everything they didn't want overboard. Tools, old engines, and lots of cable. Most of the large grouper and the Jew Fish were found in relatively shallow water, from 25 to sixty feet deep. The awards banquet afforded the winners bragging rights, great food, and a live dance band. Usually more than a hundred divers were there. Clubs like the Dixie Divers, Sea Scamps, and the Bajaos (my club). The dive gear was primitive, spear guns were home made, and there was no certification. It was on the job training.

One year we had the pleasure of having Jacques Cousteau spend several days with us both on and under the water. After a day's diving he mentioned to me how fortunate we were to have such an abundance of fish. What a remarkable man he was.

Here are some pictures from our program showing some of the prizes and the kinds of fish we shot. Four hundred pound Jewfish were not uncommon. Back in the day.

Happy diving,

Charlie
Attachments
Me and Jacques Cousteau
Me and Jacques Cousteau
COUSTEAU.JPG (351.22 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
NOGITOURN.JPG
NOGITOURN.JPG (147.78 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
NOGIPG2.JPG
NOGIPG2.JPG (155.95 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
NOGI63.JPG
NOGI63.JPG (87.69 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
NOGI.JPG
NOGI.JPG (102.99 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
poppincork

Re: NEW ORLEANS GRAND ISLE INTERNATIONAL SPEARFISHING TOURNA

Post by poppincork »

Neat.
bradschiff

Post by bradschiff »

Charlie,
I am Vero Puccio's grandson. My sister came across this post and forwarded it to me. I have an original NOGI on my mantle at home.
I have many originals of his beautiful fishing rodeo trophies but the NOGI has always been special to me. It is one of my most prized possessions.
It is incredibly cool and interesting to read this and see the photos of the NOGI's as they existed then.
On behalf of my sister and I, thank you for posting and triggering fond memories of our "Papa".
All the very best,
Brad Schiff
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

How cool is that!! :thumbup:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Charlie P wrote:How cool is that!! :thumbup: