My First Spearfishing Video

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MuleTrainGA

My First Spearfishing Video

Post by MuleTrainGA »

This was taken over in Mississippi where I am currently pursuing my Masters. We dove a couple of rigs and I decided to carry the pole spear and clean up a few lionfish on the rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfau_U5CYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfau_U5CYQ[/video]
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: My First Spearfishing Video

Post by silverking »

Very cool first video, Trevor. Liked the soundtrack too.

Those were some big lionfish. How many were you able to cram into the ZooKeeper?

I wrote a piece on lionfish harvest for TIDE earlier this summer. The seafood market is growing for them, fortunately. Some of the divers are making decent money, especially in the Keys.

If you'd like a copy, let me know and I can email a scanned copy to you.

Are you at USM with Jim Franks?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

Thanks SK! Those lionfish were monsters, two were 10mm away from the state record. That zookeeper is able to hold about 25-30 decent sized lionfish at a time once you release the extension.

Fortunately the market is becoming pretty great for fresh lionfish. My buddy, Alex Fogg, just finished up his masters work on lionfish out of GCRL with some pretty cool findings. I'd love to see the article, email me at trevor.moncrief@usm.edu

I'm actually good friends with Jim Franks and we both work at the Gulf Coast Research Lab together! (Small world right?)
Trevor Moncrief
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Cool video. It always amazes me how alien species can thrive when native species are struggling.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Loved the video and proud of my nephew. Can you eat those things Trevor? :thumbup:
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

Thanks Uncle Lex! They're absolutely delicious and definitely in my top three fish to eat. All white meat with a great taste.
Trevor Moncrief
bman

Post by bman »

Very cool video and wild to see how unafraid they are...

What do they taste like?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Like chicken, of course. :lol:

I haven't tried them yet, but similar to hogfish and snapper with the texture of grouper, I've been told.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Lionfish is delicious. VERY white and VERY delicate. It would be very easy to mask the deliciousness of lionfish.

My dad goes spearfishing and the boat captain always brings the stuff to make ceviche and usually on the first dive everyone is able to contribute a lionfish or two and they'll make lionfish ceviche that doesn't last long at all once it's served up.

I had it in a restaurant down in Cape Canaveral once. They cooked it in a "froiled" way....they said it's flash fried and then broiled to finish cooking it (i'm not a big fan of broiled fish). I was expecting fish nuggets or something ooookie looking but I was curious so I ordered it anywho. It came out whole. and delicious looking....and was excellent