Anyone Spearfish?

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GC88

Anyone Spearfish?

Post by GC88 »

Looks like this part of the forum is dead, does anyone around here spearfish. If so, I am a weekday guy and would like to meet some people that are doing this because I am new to it.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone Spearfish?

Post by procraftwes »

I don't but want to get into it.

I have a large trawler that would be great for spearing from but question whether water clarity would be good enough nearshore.
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

from what i've read you must be in the water to use a speargun legally. i have spearguns and have yet to get out after things.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

relicshunter wrote:from what i've read you must be in the water to use a speargun legally. i have spearguns and have yet to get out after things.
What?
GC88

Post by GC88 »

There's bound to be some avid speros on here somewhere. The water clarity hasn't been that great lately and there seems to be so many sharks out there right now. I can bearly get a snapper up without the Tax man taking half of it.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

relicshunter wrote:from what i've read you must be in the water to use a speargun legally. i have spearguns and have yet to get out after things.
Took me a minute but I see where the confusion came from.

When I said spear from my trawler I just meant off the swim platform/as a home base for diving not shooting fish from off the size :D .
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Their are a lot of good spots to dive in our area although water clarity is always an issue. The water in normally much clearer in the spring, winter and fall. During the summer you need to get out a little deeper. Just because it's dirty at the top doesn't mean it's that way at the bottom.

It's been my experience that sharks get more turned on by the erratic moment of an injured fish than blood. That being said make sure you kill the fish before putting it on your stringer. I made the mistake of not doing this once and ended up wrestling a nurse shark much bigger than myself.
niceShoot

Post by niceShoot »

There are quite a few of us avid spearos in the area! Finding appropriate water can be a challenge due to clarity issues, so it's often easier to head west towards PC and Destin. Sharks are just a normal part of the routine, you'll get used to them. Stringers are not suggested when spearing, especially around here, for numerous reasons.