late 9-5-10...Lanark

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

late 9-5-10...Lanark

Post by boomhauer »

Finally got a chance to get on the water with the wife. New babies seem to limit time somehow. :-) Who knew. Anyhow....Launched from Lanark around 1pm, just in time for the seabreeze to start harassing us past the East End. Despite the annoying chop, we made it out to 30-40ft without too much trouble. I was excited to see that the water looked clear, at least on top. We found some rough bottom and reeled up 10 or 12 nice grunts on inshore gear. The wife really loved the action once she got the hang of it. We started out drifting, but the breeze made it tough.

Before pulling the anchor from our first and only spot (Time constraints limited more scouting, which I had hoped to squeeze in.), I geared up to freedive and scout the site. A friend had fished the general area many times, but never had dove it, and wanted a vis report. At least I could do that as part of our "grunt trip." As I descended on my first dive, it was obvious this would be a good day, even if shortened. The bottom came into view at 10 to 15ft down. On the bottom the horizontal vis opened up to 15-20 ft. Compared to what I usually dive, that's pretty good. After taking in the vis, I start searching for fish. Well, it didn't take long. A nice inshore snouter comes over to say hello. Lucky for him, I had to go back to the boat to get my speargun. Now dropping the second time, A big male cruises over. No problem. The shaft hit the mark and he's quickly in the cooler. Wow, way more that I expected. Over the next 12 to 14 drops, I capped 7 more nice hogs. Most were males. There was also lots of other life which made for great and interesting freediving. Spanish macs, blue runners, remoras, grunts, sea bass, hogfish of course, gags, red grouper, and the usual assortment of small tropicals. There were definitly some keeper gags around, but since I was freediving, and didn't have a reel, and....my wife is learning to handle the boat, I chose to let them be. Rocking up a big gag with no reel and no help wouldn't have been too brilliant. Although, as you can imagine, it was tough to lay off. The gags were a little anxious, which is probably expected given the area.
Unfortunatly, we had to leave before I could finish the limit, but we still had some great fish.
The day finished off with Posey's Dockside grilling them up for us.
Can't wait to get back out and check some more areas. :D
Still trying to figure out how to post the pics?
AQUAHOLIC

Re: late 9-5-10...Lanark

Post by AQUAHOLIC »

cool sounds like a nice evening ,and defenitely nothing wrong with haveing dinner cooked for you
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: late 9-5-10...Lanark

Post by cmccord »

Very nice to see a good diving report. Glad you made it out and good to hear the vis is pretty good. Would love to see pics when you can get them up. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs