10-16-10 Lanark

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

10-16-10 Lanark

Post by boomhauer »

Got out with a good friend hoping to do a little diving and work out his new Kenner. Its only 17 ft., but handled great in the morning slop coming out of the east. Crawled our way out to 35-40 ft and were thrilled with great vis. Not many big grouper at the first stop, but pilled in the grunts ON SABIKI RIGS of all things. Then after a few freedives by me and a scuba from my buddy and we had several nice inshore hogs in the box. The rush at the first rock was being buzzed from 10ft away by a nice king. He stayed just out of range so I passed on the shot. Cool though. Haven't seen one of those guys in the water in a while.
We hit another ledge a little deeper and it was barren. Luckily though, as we looked through the area, we passed a pod of deep bait that wasn't moving. It turned out to be a wod of grunts and small grouper over flat hard bottom. It looked promising and we anchored up. I did some freediving and found the small ledge where they were holding. Nice hogs were everywhere, but we already had our limit, or so we though. There were a few spooky borderline gags around, but I mostly looked around.
My buddy did his last dive on a nearby ledge getting harrassed by more hogs which we couldn't touch :smt010 He saw a few reds, but mostly just enjoyed looking around and finding a new anchor.

To finish off a great day, we trolled on the way in looking for new areas. Caught up jabbering, neither of us notice the trolling rod doubled over and bouncing! At first I thought it might be a king, but turned out to be a foul hooked 25" gag. SWEET. We hadn't seen much of the bottom machine, but as we backtracked we found a nice new ledge. TO BE CHECKED OUT LATER. We wound up with an over aggressive hump back seabass hitting the plug.

Great day and burnt 6 gallons with his 40 horse. :thumbup: