10-18-10 Lanark

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

10-18-10 Lanark

Post by boomhauer »

After such a great trip two days ago, I really wanted to get back out. My in laws were visiting and I wanted to get my pop in law and wife out to bend some poles even if it was just grunts and seabass. We put in at Lanark around 9 and things looked good with light winds. After getting halfway to our area, the wind picked up some, but stabilized and was tolerable the rest of the day. I slowed the boat about a 1/2 mile from the new ledge we found the last trip out. Out goes the plug and on with the chattering. Same story, I look back and the rod is trying to jump in the water. My fater in law hustles aroung to take the pole and hooks himself on the sabiki rig. :smt010 Oh well, my wife steps in and reels in the 30" gag. What a beaut! Looked around for a bit, but couldn't find what he was holding on. Will need to look on a calmer day. We eased on the target ledge, and anchored up. The big grunts olbliged and we had a ball with them. I did hook a big fish with a bigger bait, but the light rod broke as I handed it to my father in law. :x Later I slipped in to hunt for the pole I lost. (It had borke at the sleeve) WOW. Nearly top to bottom vis and no current. My wife wouldn't let me go down without the speargun.......OK. Mostly spades and big blue angels initially, but then a nice mango cruises in. On my next dive, I popped him and was ecited when I grabbed him and found him to be a personal best at 19". The color and life around the ledge was outstanding. As I took it all in, I spotted the pole tip against an undercut. My next dive, I am approaching the pole, and a massive hog crosses ahead of me. Sweet. I pop him perfecly and head up leaving my gear on the bottom. The water was so clear, I could easily see it from the top. I head down again and come up with the pole and my prize hog. I had no clue how big he was until I surfaced. By far my biggest ever and the biggest I'd ever seen. 24" TO THE FORK! I couldn't believe it. For an inshore hog, thats big, I don't care what anyone says. A few dives later, I shot his twin. What an awsome few dives. We wrapped up and headed in around noon. Hopefully I can get a pic up of the hogs, If I hadn't seen it and someone had told me, I probably would have thought they we full of it. Pics to come I hope.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: 10-18-10 Lanark

Post by cmccord »

Sounds like you had some great days on the water. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm hoping to get out to enjoy the good vis soon myself.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs