10-21-10 Mashes.

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

10-21-10 Mashes.

Post by boomhauer »

Took my wife and pop in law back out to finish their trip. We initially tried to go swimming at the shoals, but it was a bit too rough. It calmed some over the next hour as we checked some old loran number areas with no success. Enjoying the ride, we eased SW to check a ledge a friend had found. Freediving was great. Little current and great vis. As usual the hogs were around and I easily got two in the 19" range. Normaly, those would be studs for inshore, but after the monsters I found last trip, these were just ok. The highlight of those dives was seeing my first ARS in the water while diving. Since it is closed, I let him pass. Just as well, He stayed just out of range. Needing to get back, we headed towards home. On the way, we came across a scattered pod of 20 -30 dolphins. My guests really enjoys it as they repeatedly cruised of the bow of the boat in the clear water. Always ready to take advantage of any situation, I keep one eye one the fishfinder while we are idling. Shortly thereafter, we cross a nice lttle low ledge, or so it looked. After finishing with flippper and his pals, I jumped in to check things out. The bottom had low flat rocky plates around 1-2ft high with several good cracks. The vis had dropped some, but no enough for me not to see several nice gags in the upper 20"s range. I was tired by then, so no spearing. To finish things off, I made a few passes with the plug to see if one of the gags I saw would hit. On our final pass, the rod bucked and surely had to be a grouper.....right. Wrong. My pop in law reeled in a nice 10-12 lb king. Perfect for the smoker! What a great few days of diving. Some of the best conditions of the years! Dive in before it gets cold. :thumbup: