DI 7-13-11

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

DI 7-13-11

Post by boomhauer »

Even though the Feds have hosed us on the gags, we thought we'd harass the hogs and maybe a few red grouper. The red snaps havent been in shallow this summer as they have the last few years. Thankfully the snouters have taken up the slack. We met up at crumbs at 530 (whose idea was that? .....oh yea...mine) hoping to start early and dodge the boomers that had been hitting around noon. Easy launch at sunup and after a short ride through 2-3's we were circling our first drop. The initial spot was an area one of our crew had been working the gags over before June one. We looked and looked and I swam down several times to marks that looked good, but was only sea fans. After striking out 3 or 4 times, we headed to a known ledge. A friend and his son were making there first gulf dive since there class. Undortunately, the vis and current weren't in our favor, which we kind of predicted. Neverthe less, they had a great trial run and saw lots
Of fish. Not suprising, my friends son pops up begging for a
Speargun on the next dive. My othe buddy who owns the boat backdove the spot and returned with a red gr and a couple nice hogs. I keep trying to get him to fire on the big mangos that seem to love this spot, but he tells me he thinks they are small gags. When he tastes one, he ll get a fish Id book. Bu then the seas had built some, but not too bad, so we ran east to the next site. I hopped in here to even out the tanks and made the best of the limited vis. There were plenty of nice gags, which has been the case everywhere, and a few small red grouper. I was fortunate to see lots of activity and bring back several beirofil hogs to 20". We hit one more spot for my friend and his son to get in a second dive. The vis and current were still tough....but they still had a good dive seeing lots of gags and the youngest of our crew spearing his first fish ....a small hog he was thrilled with. We stayed inside 45 feet all day and had maybe 8-10 fr of vis right on the bottom. Mid column the vis was worse. The full moon tide wasn't much fun either.

Come on September!

Anyone else think the federal government could save a ton of cash if they put the nmfs to sleep PERMANENTLY! ......Florida OS more than capable to handle it's own resources.