Dog island 8-6-11

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Dog island 8-6-11

Post by boomhauer »

We were looking forward to the good weather that had been gorgeous the past few days. Being the first boat to lanark was a rarity for us, but welcomed nonetheless. The rise our was slick and stayed that way the whole day... I wish it was always like that... We rendevouxed with our partner boat at some small ledges a little less than 40 ft. Unfortunately , the vis was a hazy 6-8 ft or so. It would improve slightly later with the incoming, bit was still poor over
All. I started out freediving and knew I was close to the ledge when I started seeing Hogfish over some hard flat bottom. A few dives later and I had two nice male hogs in the box...I kept at it as I had seen a
Big bog hog earlier. Finally I saw him again after leveling off on the bottom. This time I made a
Good shot and headed up spilling line off my reel. I rested for a second and followed the lone back down only to find the huge inshore hog had run to the ledge I had been looking for....sweet. The hog measured out at 24" to fork! Tied my personal best. Riding high, I sent my buddy down with a tank. Sorry for him, he took a right , when he should have taken a left. 20 minutes later he surfaced after not seeing a
Single fIsh. Poor thing.....I finished his tank off with 5 nice hogs on the stringer. I took a left! We later sent a father/son team down to clean up what was left. Yhey had a great dive, save the vis. Saw many gags and got a few hogs. Being new to diving, that was pretty good.poked around a bit then found a new patch of hard bottom
Running spot to spot. It was a nice wide areaof low relief rocks with loads of hogs . My othe buddy took one freediving, and several were taken with tanks. Found one more new small spot and we got a few hogs and a keeper red grouper off it to finish the day. It was really miserable watching 30" gags swim by! Grrrrrrrrfrr
Final tally was around 20 his for the two boats and a sheep or two and the red. Didn't see any red snaps.

All in all a great day except for the vis.

Can I post pics from my iPhone? Have some good shots of the big hog.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Dog island 8-6-11

Post by Tom Keels »

Let me know if you ever need another gun hand. Sounds like a great day. It's been almost a year since I pulled the trigger.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

boomhauer

Re: Dog island 8-6-11

Post by boomhauer »

No problem Tom.....trigger pulling clears your mind.