Dumb spearfishing question, but something I always wondered.

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Dumb spearfishing question, but something I always wondered.

Post by WolfeMan »

Are the size regulations different? How do you ensure you shoot a legal sized fish? You can't exactly catch and release a fish with a hole in it, or can you?

That would stress me out!

Ooh look, a Grouper. Hmm...is that 22 inches? well...*squint* *head-cock* Might be. Probably...BOING. Dang! 21.5!

I guess it just takes a ton of practice but I'd love to know more from some experts.
Site Sponsor

Re: Dumb spearfishing question, but something I always wonde

Post by WolfeMan »

Or do they let you put the tape measure on them before you spear them? LOL
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

WolfeMan wrote:Are the size regulations different? How do you ensure you shoot a legal sized fish? You can't exactly catch and release a fish with a hole in it, or can you?

That would stress me out!

Ooh look, a Grouper. Hmm...is that 22 inches? well...*squint* *head-cock* Might be. Probably...BOING. Dang! 21.5!

I guess it just takes a ton of practice but I'd love to know more from some experts.
Fish size regs. are the same above and under the water. There are a lot of other regs that apply to spear-gun hunters but size is not one of them.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

just like hunting a WMA...

Don't say, I thought that was a third point on the right antler...make sure it is legal before you pull the trigger
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I have marks on my gun at the various lengths. Anyone who says they haven't shot a short fish is lying. However, the rule of thumb is, if it looks like the fish is huge, then it is probably just legal.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Yeah, the margin for error is painfully nonexistent. How likely is a speared fish to survive?

So, if you shoot a fish, and it measures short under water...do you just unspear it and let it swim/limp away? I feel bad when I haul up a short snapper with his guts hanging out of his mouth. Sucks...
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

My buddy shot a 33" gag about halfway back and it tore off the spear. Fast forward a year later same place and I spear a 34" gag with a healed up calcified place where the spear was. So if you hit no vital organs, they will survive.

Yes if you hit a small one, you take off the spear and let it go. It won't go to waste. And now you have a frame of reference for the rest of the dive.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

WOW! That's awesome.

Post by DOWNTIME »

Tom is right i have been spearfishing for about 11 years and still to this day I will still slip everynow and then and think one is big enough and he will not be. but you will get a good idea after a few shorts. only shoot the real big ones. rule of thumb if you have to question the size then he is prob to small so let him go!! hope this helps you out
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Tom Keels wrote:My buddy shot a 33" gag about halfway back and it tore off the spear. Fast forward a year later same place and I spear a 34" gag with a healed up calcified place where the spear was. So if you hit no vital organs, they will survive.

Yes if you hit a small one, you take off the spear and let it go. It won't go to waste. And now you have a frame of reference for the rest of the dive.
Found this to be true last week. We shot 3 different gags that were huge (barely legal according to TK.... :lol: ) and they swam off. The shots were "through & through" on a free spear (no cable) with only 1 band :o We actually saw 2 of the fish later when we swam back to the structure, but they stayed out of range. They looked to be just fine....

The ones we got with the cable spear also looked fine.....on ice :wink:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com