DI 10-14-11 late

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

DI 10-14-11 late

Post by boomhauer »

Managed to squeeze in another good trip before the cold front squashed us. First boat out of Lanark at daylight. I was worries about having enough water, but we made it out fine. A north wind increased the further we got offshore, but wasn't a problem and layer down later. We eased to anchor at our first stop and quickly pulled a nice BSB in on a flutter jig. Unfortunately, I then hung it in the bottom and had to freedoms down to get it... At 10$, I wasn't going to decorate the bottom with brand new flutter jigs. Thankfully the via wasn't too bad and my buddy was tanked up and hunting fish a short time later. We had seen good numbers of gags here several weeks ago, but they must have known we were on the way. About 30 min into his dive as I lazily followed his bubbles, I saw a brown object surface 50 yards from the boat. Sure it was a turtle I waved to it and waited for it to dive....and waited and waited. Finally, I gave it a closer ook and it looked like a fish! Since the water was warm, I didn't mind hopping in fir a recon. As I neared it, I could see it was a nice keeper gag with a small wound over the spine. I grabbed him tightly and swam him back to the boat. Later we my buddy surfaced with a nice hog or two, a keeper red and a sheepshead, I asked him what happened to the gag he lost. Hardly containing my laughter, he finally figured it out and wasthrilled.with the stink off the boat, warm water(felt good compared to the air) and decent vis we were phones for the rest of the day. We hot 3 more sites and speared fish at each one. Ended the day with 9 or 10 hogs with 4 or 5 pushing 20", 2 keeper gags, 3 keeper reds , and a sheep or two. No flounder or cobia. Surprisingly, there was little bait on top or on the reefs. We used 3-5 mil suits and were very cosy. May need more now.
Anyone been out since the front?