Panacea 11-4

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Panacea 11-4

Post by boomhauer »

We knew a cold front would blow through tonite and we had the afternoon off so we went for it while the gettin was good. The predicted 5 mph wind was more like 10-15 with some steep rollers coming from the SE. Fortunately, we were only heading to 40-45 ft so the ride wasn't too bad, even if slow. We planned to dive a few broken bottom areas I found a few weeks ago scouting around. One was a bust. A few small BSB was it and not much structure. Spot 2 was pretty good. The vis was 15-20 which was great compared to late summer. There were schools of grunts everywhere but not many BSB. The taller rocky areas had a few gags a and a fatty red. I took one gag around 24 and the fat red which later spit out a whole octopus..... Yuck. Just before coming up, I popped a nice male hog laying against a sponge just sitting..... Never seen that before. Next spot was close by but not quite as good. My biddy got a small keeper red and saw loads of big grunts and a few baby hogs and reds. We just beat the wind coming in, and had a great hall day. Pretty successful we thought for our first foray into this area....

Anyone else been..?
Hope the vis and temps hold to next week!