DI 4/9

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

DI 4/9

Post by boomhauer »

The weather has been bizarre the past seven days and fortunately consistent ... It blows like stink till 2, then slowly calms to nothing for the ride in. Once we figured this out, we just started launching at 2, easing our way out in the big SE swell, then watch it calm while we were out there. Wind cast had it spot on every day, NOAA, not so much. Monday we went with a buddy and trolled up 4 nice gags to 28". The bite was ok, but not what it was the prior week. Tues we took my boat out, caught a small keeper trolling right off the bay and let him go,maybe that was a bad choice as he told his buddies to run. I made a dive in the area to find shootable , but not good vis. Took 5 hogs , 3 being big males around 20", nice for inshore. Trolling to the next spot, we picked up a nice gag, and made sure to ice him down. The next spot was a new ledge I found the prior week and pulled some big gags off it. My buddy went down, but only came up with one hog as the vis was poor here. He saw some decent gags, but they were skittish. He finished up diving a spot near where we started and speared 4 real nice hogs....
We both saw gags around,but not in the numbers we would have thought given the great bite for the past week.

Yesterday, we launched around the same time. Not many boats as I suspect they saw it blowing early. It took a little longer to calm , but it finally did. Buddy dove one area and saw fish but had poor vis. I made one dive as sun was setting and had better vis, but didnt see many big fish. Did see keeper gags, but we had our limit from fishing. It was a much better bite than the prior two days. We caught fish all afternoon. The areas we picked up fish didnt have much on the bottom.... Mostly rough live bottom. A few areas yielded strikes on multiple passes . We ended up with our 4, all in the 24-25" range... Released several more, and lost a few. Hope to look at those areas more carefully on a calm day with better vis. There has to be something holding those fish , even if it doesn't light up the sounder ....

Great week on the water!
DWilliams

Re: DI 4/9

Post by DWilliams »

Thanks for the report. Hope the vis clears up.
josejman

Post by josejman »

Its good to hear that someones been out diving! If you don't mind telling, how deep were you guys diving and what was the water temp? Ive stayed above lately since the vis has been not too great. thanks for the post!
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Around 40 ft mostly..... Vis varies through the day, but we were prob fortunate to have what we had with new moon tides and a big SE swell everyday..... Funny thing. I did a drop late wed afternoon about 630 and the vis was better 10-15.....who woulda thought. Water was prob high 60's to 70.... Not bad in a 3 mil
josejman

Post by josejman »

Thanks for the info. Yea, vis can be a funny thing around here... I never know what Im gonna get until Im there