Lanark 4/27

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DWilliams

Lanark 4/27

Post by DWilliams »

We got a slow start seeing how the marine forecast was 2-3 in the am laying down by 2. Their timing/forecast was slightly off. Rounding DI there was a slight breeze ~20mph with a tight 3’ chop coming out of the east and some large swells out of the south. Our dives began early with the bevy of spray en route to spot #1. We found out on spot #1 that 2:1 scope was almost enough, good thing for scuppers as a rogue wave came through. Vis turned out to be 20+ on a couple of spots and 15 on a couple. Water temp 72 and slightly cooler on bottom. The waves did lay down by 5:30 for a somewhat smooth ride in.
boomhauer

Re: Lanark 4/27

Post by boomhauer »

Good news on the vis, but what about the fish ??????
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Biggest gag was ~14#. We got a couple of hogs thrown in. Not as thick as I thought they would be but SDI is getting hit pretty hard. I have seen multiple boats sitting on spots I have never seen people on before. Seen a bait pod so the mack and cobia ought to be here as well.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

It's been unusual for us this spring.... We've been killing the gags trolling, but most of the fish seem scattered on low relief stuff. We get a few on the bigger ledges but not as many... I've been wanting to dive these hard bottom areas where we caught them trolling. 2 or 3 weeks ago I was trolling by myself on a Saturday and was right in the middle of 12-15 boats an still killed em.... I found a little area where not boats were (kinda like scalloping) and caught gag after gag.
Hogs have been hit or miss. Two weeks ago had 10 big ones in two dives, next day I dove one spot and only saw pewees ......
Still been a great spring for fishing.