Are we the only ones diving ?????

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Are we the only ones diving ?????

Post by boomhauer »

Seems like we are the only ones jumping in the water anymore....... At least based on the diving posts. Anyhow, here's another one from5-15 .....
Left mashes early to be delighted with a calm clear day.... Headed south to 40-45 ft inside 9 mile boundary..... 1st spot for a buddy showed fair vis for him and a few small hogs. The gags he saw were very skittish. Only had a few spots I. That area and figured they'd be similar so we headed west towards some areas we'd been killing em trolling . The only reason we didn't start there was because of poor vis reports from friends in that area lately . Seemed odd, as they at least had to see the plugs. They had reported better vis east so that's where we started.
Hit next little ledge in 35 ft to find better vis (15-20) and no current. Oh and did I mention , slammed with gags, many in the 30" range.... And NOT skittish.... Biggest problem was not getting distracted off one fish by a bigger one.... Ended up taking 3 in the 25-26" range to finish our limit, plus a medium hog and trigger. Best vis I've seen this year. Later moved inshore a little and the vis was fair at best .....
So I guess vis is hit or miss, just keep moving. The surface was clear everywhere but didnt correlate with the bottom.

Had a small king trolling, but no gags, so the trolling may be railing off.

Anyway, vis seems to be trending better, and still plenty of gags in close.
DWilliams

Re: Are we the only ones diving ?????

Post by DWilliams »

Nice report. Been out of town. Going to hit it hard this weekend in NC for big hogs and lobster.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Sounds cool...... I've seen picks of the hogs up there.... Huge

Buddy went out of Lanark today and said the vis was great!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I should, hopefully, be getting certified and two sets of gear in early june. Looking to put some food on the table shortly afterward :lick:
850-273-8818