Econfina Grouper

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Econfina Grouper

Post by dolphinatic »

Forecast called for 1-2's :lol: , so we decided to make a quick run out to check a few spots known for holding "migratory" grouper. Dropped a stretch out the back and snatched 1 rock bass about 6" long. Got to a spot in 17 ft and dropped a live pinfish down. Nothing, but marking good bottom and fish. Put on a snorkel and stuck my head in for a quick peak. Good water clarity and could see fish moving on the bottom. Decided to strap on a tank and go check em out. Got to the bottom and gags were everywhere, even a few biggins. Lots of spanish, pinfish, jacks etc. Sat on the bottom for about 3 minutes and the gags started coming around. One 30" fish come within 5 feet of the spear and his life was quickly ended through the head, stoned to perfection :thumbup: Bagged one more and went up to get my partner. Went back and tagged a few more, along with 3 nice hogs and a BIG flounder. With our limit of gags on ice, we went to another spot .8 miles away. Dropped down there for another 40 minute stroll along the bottom and saw numerous more gags, hogs, rockies, spanish, grunts, triggers and a goliath the size of a Prius. The big boy just sat there on the bottom and let us get right up to him. We respected his space and let him be when he started twitching his eyes at us. Good day on the water and we even missed the rain :beer:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina Grouper

Post by fireant21 »

Awesome day. Thanks for the report
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Git r done, dolphinatic

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great day on da pond. Ya gota love some hog snapper.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

That's the way to do it :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

17ft would be a freediving dream..... Reminds me of what we did at crystal river. Everything of Lanark is 30 plus which is tiring if current is moving. Thank goodness for tanks when I burn out.....

Great report!