Any spearfishing around within Gheenoe range?

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

Any spearfishing around within Gheenoe range?

Post by spothogg »

I live in Tally and have a 15'6" Classic Gheenoe. Been diving since I was a teenager and moved to FL for cave diving. I've been diving caves since here exclusively but have an OW set up. As for spear, I only have a three-prong pole spear that I brought from the PAC NW. Are there any areas to spearfish within Gheenoe range close to Tally? Been fishing out of the boat a lot, but wouldn't mind taking in a spearing trip.
DWilliams

Re: Any spearfishing around within Gheenoe range?

Post by DWilliams »

I have heard of people spearing mullet.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

You can easily be in mullet shooting range with your boat. Hanging out in the mouth of a creek on the outgoing tide is a great way to find them. You never know which creek they'll be in that day. A lot of folks shoot mullet in the deeper channels around Big Grassy Island (Keaton Beach area). You may also get lucky and find a flounder or two. You may wanna get a 5 prong spear tip for mullet though, they can be hard to hit.
Well I just re-read your post and saw you're using a pole spear. Not the best setup for mullet, but you could easily get some flounder if you're able to find them. I'd try the deeper holes up a creek on a moving tide, but I am by no means an expert. If I were better at finding flounder, I'd be eating flounder more often :wink:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

I was hoping for opportunities other than mullet. Was curious if there was any good structure close to inshore range. I'll stick to pole fishing for now, especially after this weekend seeing the size of the sharks around here :o
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

You can shoot cobia around the bird racks, buoys, channel markers, etc.... on a low tide.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

red_yakker wrote:You can easily be in mullet shooting range with your boat. Hanging out in the mouth of a creek on the outgoing tide is a great way to find them. You never know which creek they'll be in that day. A lot of folks shoot mullet in the deeper channels around Big Grassy Island (Keaton Beach area). You may also get lucky and find a flounder or two. You may wanna get a 5 prong spear tip for mullet though, they can be hard to hit.
Well I just re-read your post and saw you're using a pole spear. Not the best setup for mullet, but you could easily get some flounder if you're able to find them. I'd try the deeper holes up a creek on a moving tide, but I am by no means an expert. If I were better at finding flounder, I'd be eating flounder more often :wink:

Y'all remember that boy that was chomped on by the gator a few years back while spearing mullet? I think it was around Keaton beach.
Man,I'd be really careful taking a genoe that far. If you start taking waves over the bow( super easy to do), you will be in trouble. It doesn't sound very safe, especially now when t storms can pop up out of nowhere. The bird rack / stake line is probably your best bet for cobia. But if we heard a report of a boater on trouble 3 miles offshore in a geenoe, most of us would say" what the hell was he doing that far off in a geenoe?". Good luck, be safe
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Salty Gator wrote:Y'all remember that boy that was chomped on by the gator a few years back while spearing mullet? I think it was around Keaton beach.
Man,I'd be really careful taking a genoe that far. If you start taking waves over the bow( super easy to do), you will be in trouble. It doesn't sound very safe, especially now when t storms can pop up out of nowhere. The bird rack / stake line is probably your best bet for cobia. But if we heard a report of a boater on trouble 3 miles offshore in a geenoe, most of us would say" what the hell was he doing that far off in a geenoe?". Good luck, be safe
I agree...I fished Sat with a buddy and we launched at bottoms and headed around the point of Piney Island. He wanted to head out toward some of the far off channel markers to fish. We started that way, but there were some pretty good swells with more than I wanted breaking over the bow of the Gheenoe. I turned around and headed back toward calmer water. It was good lesson on limits of boat for me. I'll keep it close in.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

If you don't already know I can tell you what a gheenoe will do if swamped or over turned. it won't sink to the bottom but it will sit just under the water with the with the top of the sides at water level.....there are days where your boat is great for getting on the flats but not this time of year. concentrate near shore, creeks and bars for reds/flounder/trout. Good luck.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life