Any good recipe for trout thats not fried?

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Any good recipe for trout thats not fried?

Post by Dockwilson »

Any good recipe for trout thats not fried? Love it fried, but trying to do less of that.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Any good recipe for trout thats not fried?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Poached fish is good.
Trout poach well.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/reci ... ached-Fish
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We modify fry ours using a Presto, non-stick grill - the kind you cook pancakes on. We meal/flour our fish fillets, coat the grill with a small amount of olive oil and fry. We cook egg plants, fried squash or fried green tomatoes the same way. Very little oil and close to deep fat fried foods.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Skin the filets and cut into fingers. Lay a piece of turkey bacon on top, roll and pin with a toothpick.

Brush with olive oil and dust with Italian or the seasoning of your choice. Grill on a medium fire for about 15+ minutes. The bacon keeps the fish moist and adds a great flavor. I usually fix Zatarain's rice as a side. Delicious.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Brush filets with olive oil and season to taste (garlic salt, lemon pepper, Tony Chachere's) and place in a pan. Cover with panko bread crumbs and then dust with parmesan cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven 15- 20 minutes depending on how thick your filets are. Can finish under the broiler to brown the bread crumbs. Can do this with any filets. We have done speckled perch, bream, bass, and even Spanish mackeral this way.
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

Smoke them!
bman

Post by bman »

We broil them about 50% of the time.
Lots of lemon and butter on the fillets... A little old bay or just salt and pepper.
Under the broiler till they flake.

Pan fried in just a little olive oil is good too..
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Poached fish is good.
Trout poach well.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/reci ... ached-Fish

I thought all the trout we caught in your holes were ones you considered poached!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Coat fillets with Everglades seasoning & saute in pan w/small amount of butter. Cover with capers and/or artichoke hearts. The butter is a little sweet, the Everglades is a little salty, and the artichoke hearts are tangy.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Especially when camping, I do this.

Scale and gut the trout like you would a bream.... make sure blood line is cleaned out.
Place on large sheet of foil, and season (I like tonys and italian)
Place two lemon slices and two pats of butter inside fish cavity
Place " " " " " " on top of fish
Wrap up the whole thing and put on grill, in oven around 425.
Cook forever. Seriously...I leave it on for at least 45 minutes. Ill go take a shower or something....
Serve with drizzled garlic butter and a side of green beans.

The meat will just flake off and if you cook it long enough you can just grab the back bone and pull all the bones out at once.
Make sure not to eat the belly part.

Delish.

Silverking your recipie sounds awesome...... imma try that next.
flogator

Post by flogator »

Google - 'franchese' adapt for fish (trout are excellent) can use white cooking wine
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Big cast iron skillet , cook on outdoor gas burner, stick of butter (or 1/2). Zatarain's Blackening Seasoning, dry fillets, then rub fillets both sides with Zatarain's Blackening Seasoning, seasoning. Make the butter dance in the iron skillet (but not burn or smoke) then add the fillets. Shimmy the pan and don't let the fillets stick, keep the pan sliding around on the skillet. (The key is to keep the pan moving almost the whole time) Flip fillets over after 3 minutes (may have to add more butter) and continue to shimmy the hot skillet. After end of three or 4 minutes, sprinkle with some fresh lemon jouice, then pour in 1/2 cup of white wine. Shimmy the skillet until the fillets soak up the wine (about 90 seconds) (2nd key is to add the wine last), remove, and serve while hot !! :lick: :lick: :lick: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: (as pictured below, may also add vegetables such as onions for more flavor)... I won't eat it any other way.....

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

mjsigns wrote:Big cast iron skillet , cook on outdoor gas burner, stick of butter (or 1/2). Zatarain's Blackening Seasoning, dry fillets, then rub fillets both sides with Zatarain's Blackening Seasoning, seasoning. Make the butter dance in the iron skillet (but not burn or smoke) then add the fillets. Shimmy the pan and don't let the fillets stick, keep the pan sliding around on the skillet. (The key is to keep the pan moving almost the whole time) Flip fillets over after 3 minutes (may have to add more butter) and continue to shimmy the hot skillet. After end of three or 4 minutes, sprinkle with some fresh lemon jouice, then pour in 1/2 cup of white wine. Shimmy the skillet until the fillets soak up the wine (about 90 seconds) (2nd key is to add the wine last), remove, and serve while hot !! :lick: :lick: :lick: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: (as pictured below, may also add vegetables such as onions for more flavor)... I won't eat it any other way.....

That looks really good. Only change I would make is to sub canola oil for the butter. If frying is what you are trying to change from as a cooking method, then using a stick or half stick of butter doesn't change much from a health standpoint. Cut back on the oil, since you are pan sauteing at fairly low heat, and skip the butter.

That's the way I cook my fish most of the time.

EJ
flogator

Post by flogator »

We like to serve this with the fish over rice and pour the pan gravy over all! very good!