Fire Cracker (Saltine Crackers)

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Fire Cracker (Saltine Crackers)

Post by charlie tuna »

This has been around a few times, but everyone should have access to this recipe. It sounds crazy, like you will end up with a bag of garbage. Went to a memorial service over the weekend and someone brought these and they were gone so fast more than half the people never saw them!! For some reason the saltines remain fresh and crispy until they are gone??

4 sleeves(a full box) of saltine crackers
1 1/3 cup veg. oil
3 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 packages (1/2 cup) dry ranch salad dressing mix(Italian can also be used)
1 plastic ziplock 2 1/2 gallon bag

Mix all ingredients thoughly and pour into 2 1/2 gallon plastic bag, then add saltines, toss gently to prevent breaking the crackers. Let sit, and turn every hour, then let set overnight.

As i said, this sounds like it will turn out to be a mess -- suprisingly though -- they are great ...........
CaptReelThyme

Re: Fire Cracker (Saltine Crackers)

Post by CaptReelThyme »

The 'First Mate' (aka the Mrs.) makes these lil bastards all the time, for all day trips or just for snacks with friends in St. Marks. She does, two different things though. 1. she uses the mini saltines. 2. after they have sat in the mix, she re-bakes them in a 200 degree oven for crispness. keep an eye on them though, either the oven will get them or un-watched hands will snag these little gems.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Capt,
The first batch i made was out of some crackers that were on the shelf for a few months -- and after they were made, they were as crispy as ANY saltine i had ever tasted, secondly, i am just finishing up my third batch, maybe ten crackers left and they remain as crispy as a freshly opened box!! Don't know why, but had a nursing teacher explain to me that it has to do with the oil??? Also, someone mentioned they do them using "Oyster Crackers" which makes them more like finger food. They sure suprise everyone who makes them.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

The finished product:
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Just to clarify, do you have to bake the crackers? If so, at what temperature and for how long? If not, I'm assuming the crackers absorb the oil and there's none left in the bag? Thank you in advance.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

PEANUT OIL NOT VEG OIL. You will have a mess.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

When i first read this recipe, i asked the same question!! How is this going to come out? Like "oil and crackers"? A big 2 1/2 gallon bag of MUSH !!!
NO baking required. Just follow the simple instructions -- you will be happy with the results. This memorial service i attended had two tables full of appetizers - all kinds of cheese platters and crackers - sliced meats,etc.. Soon as people tasted the firecrackers, they were gone, and everyone was talking about them!! Now i am not into eating hot(spicy) foods, and this recipe with three tablespoons of red pepper flakes is fine with me -- but, some people cut back on the red pepper flakes when serving to a mixed crowd. I don't agree with this. I think they are just right. As i said, the crackers will stay fresher after they are coated with the oil.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Never used peanut oil on them? Follow the recipe! And remember something about peanut ANYTHING --- more and more people today are allergic to anything connected to peanuts. I own two broasters for broasted chicken and used to use peanut oil for cooking -- not anymore -- too many people can get seriously sick from peanut oil. The veggie oil disappears while they are being turned. The finished product looks and feels like a normal saltine cracker.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

This sounded so good I have a freshly made batch soaking on the counter now to try. Have to see how they turn out
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

We've been using a version of this for years as a beach/boat snack. oyster crackers/ cheese nips/ and small pretzels. use olive oil and a package of ranch dip mix plus garlic and dill to taste.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I just tasted the latest batch - now the only change was i am using another brand of red pepper flakes. These have about half the "kick" as the original ones i was using. They are still very good. Also you can use the dry packages of "blue cheese" salad dressing mix. You don't have to shake them, just turn them as directed because more turning or shaking just causes more crackers to break....