Pulled Pork

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Pulled Pork

Post by charlie tuna »

Last edited by charlie tuna on August 4th, 2012, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Pulled Pork

Post by fishinfool »

Yay for the Big Green Egg.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Good link. Remove one of the double [ img ] [ /img ]at each end of the link and it will work fine.

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

[imgImage][/img]
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

[imgImage][/img]
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

:lick: :thumbup: :thumbup:
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

We've got a butt in the fridge we were planning on slow cooking. Got any good recipes for that?
850-273-8818
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

This butt was cooked in six hours which is not really "slow cooking", it is called "turbo cooking"! The butt was marinated by injecting Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade and coated with "Bad Bryan Butt Rub", then refrigerated for 24 hours. It was first smoked, using pecan wood chunks for two hours at 225 degrees. It remained on the grill for another hour to reach 160 degrees internal temperature, then removed, wrapped in two layers of foil and back on the grill with increased grill temperature of 275. Then cooked at this temperature until the internal temperature reached 210 degrees. At this point it was placed in a small cooler for one hour before being pulled, as shown in the photo. This "turbo cooking" method, wrapping in foil, reduces the cooking time and thereby increasing the liquid flavor in the pork. This liquid is PURE flavor, and very important to pulled pork.. Good Luck on your butts.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I do the same, but pull mine at 195 internal then allow it to climb on its own in the cooler.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

If the butt wasn't injected, i too would pull at 195 to 200 degrees. I do the same thing with chicken, if injected i will cook it above normal finish temperatures. And like you said, the temperature will continue to climb while in the cooler, but at a rate depending on the finishing temperature. The lower the cooking temperature, the less increase will be seen. I used to cook pulled pork "low and slow" and sometimes a butt like in the photos would cook for 22 to 24 hours. I am sold on the "turbo cooking" method.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Nice work! I love the pork off my BGE. Gets rave reviews.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Yesterday, i was cooking some country style ribs that had been marinating for 24 hours with some Bad Bryon's Butt Rub on them. I planned to smoke them for two hours high in the dome, then finish them at gasket level for another two to three hours(until they were tender). Well some company showed up an hour and a half into the cook, so i just said let them cook and see what happens??? This entire cook lasted about five hours at 225 degrees -- untouched! When i lifted up the cover they were perfect! Very tender and not dry. Seemed like the fat had melted off the ribs. The butt rub gave then just a little bite. Thats what we are having for supper tonight !!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You almost hit exactly on my recipe Charlie. I do 6 hours at 225ish. Mopping every 1/2 hour after the first 2 hours. I keep the smoke a light hazy blue. I never ever ever use briquettes, only real wood charcoal and I never have any bark on the wood! No water soaking of any wood either. I only do St Louis Style though, so baby backs would be faster. When the butcher cuts me the rack down, I save the tips and smoke them too (usually about 4-5 hours). I have frozen them and then just rewarmed the tips in the oven. Love em. My ribs are tight though, I don't like them falling off the bone, but you could finish them the last hour in foil if so desired.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

We have a big green egg and love it. Cook on it almost every day. I have done many pork butts on the egg and have experimented with different methods to achieve perfect pulled pork. I always brine all of my poultry and pork butts. Pork butts get a rub before going on the grill. I have cooked the butts all the way on the egg at about 225. I have found that it takes between o8-10 hours to achieve the tissue breakdown for pulled pork with a 7-8 lb butt (I usually cook two at a time). Makes for a long day when preparing for a crowd to come over for a bar-b-que. Sometimes they just aren't done when you want them to be. Based on my research, meat only absorbs smoke flavor for the first three hours. With that concept in mind, the last four times I smoked a butt, I put it on the egg for three hours at 225 with plenty of smoke. Pulled it and put it in the oven overnight at 225 with liquid under it and covered. Best pulled pork ever! Works every time with no babysitting beyond watching the grill temperature intially and mopping on the grill. There is no difference in flavor after the three hours on the grill, just less mopping and babysitting the temperature.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

For you bar-b-que enthusiasts check out www.amazingribs.com. Lots of great info!