Boiled Peanuts

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redbelly7

Re: Boiled Peanuts

Post by redbelly7 »

What 342 said. but prolly about 3/4 to 1 gal of water. If it's not salty enough, let pnuts soak longer or add more salt. prolly best to let soak tho.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

For something a little different occasionally I'll throw some crab boil in the pot. It gives them kind of a Cajun kick. It doesn't taste like they have been in crab boil.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Rhettley wrote:For something a little different occasionally I'll throw some crab boil in the pot. It gives them kind of a Cajun kick. It doesn't taste like they have been in crab boil.
Now that is interesting! Got to try it!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Great thread! I have been "experimenting" with my boiled peanuts after a friend from Chipley made a batch of the very best Cajun BPs I have ever had. I had been using the method described at the top of this thread and was satisfied with the results. Then after the "Chipley BPs" I was on the hunt for a similar recipe as my friend was not giving up the entire recipe. He did say that he used Zatarian's carb boil and some "other" spices. So, armed with the basic ingredient I went to work in small batches of BPS. The first batch was excellent but keep in mind you better like spiced up food in the first place and I like mine real spicy. So, on my next batch I did Zatarian's & spices and added about 10 oz. homemade jalapenos & juice and the flavor got even better and the heat spectacular. I also came across this site http://www.boiled-peanut-world.com/ and learned that there are good peanuts to use for BPs and there are better peanuts to use as was pointed out earlier in the thread.

Can anyone give directions / contact information to Mr. Fulfords farm/ store and know his hours or phone #
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I cook mine at a low boil. I keep a lid just cracked and, don't salt until they're done.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

MarkM wrote:don't salt until they're done.
What??? ;-)
Team Jolly Mon
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

If you can find a Hardy's Farm location, they have the best type of green peanut for boiling. I know they have a location at Striplings close to Warwick GA, and maybe Ashburn. I'm not sure if there are any south of that. Hardy's Farms peanuts originate around Hawkinsville, GA, I believe
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

TallyFish wrote:Great thread!

Can anyone give directions / contact information to Mr. Fulfords farm/ store and know his hours or phone #
Whew...TallyFish, sounds like you are making an atomic BOMB! Man O man, eat to many of those peanuts and you had better be extra careful. You just might blow your shoes off! Sounds like they could be hazardous to your health-wow!

Call Gary Fulford- 997-3780 in Monticello. The grow the best peanuts in the area and for the green boiling market. They don't have a store but you can place an order and pick up at his home. I'd rather he give you driving directions. As far as I know they sell them by the bushel.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

SS-342 ....just once you have to give them a try. They don't turnout at spicy as you would think but they do have "bite" that is satisfying.

Thank you for the Fulford contact information.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Found this, this morning.

Beginner’s Recipe: Fill a 6-quart pan 3/4 full with peanuts, cover with water, and add 1/4 cup of salt. Boil for 1 1⁄2 hrs. with occasional stirring. Let cool, drain, and enjoy. The longer they cool in the water, the saltier they get.

Picked some yesterday and had some in the frig already boiled! Some good eating!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Where can I buy a bushel on Sunday? I'm craving some boiled peanuts.
The Back Porch
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

tallykenj wrote:Where can I buy a bushel on Sunday? I'm craving some boiled peanuts.
I used to get a 50lb bag from tomato land, off thomasville rd. Not sure if they are open on Sunday though.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

I boil mine for about a hour and 1/2 then test for tenderness ( I like mine firm) once the tenderness is where I want it I cut them off and add salt and then salt some more. I let sit in salty water for an hour or so and then taste for saltiness. Let soak until saltiness is where I want it.

They don't soak up salt while boiling, just while soaking.

Always good.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I love boiled peanuts and this has been a very informative thread. I just wonder if it would have received this much attention if the fishing weather had been better. :smt017
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

Used to be an old black man come by the shop selling boiled peanuts. Said he boiled a ham hock in with the peanuts. I've found that the longer they soak the saltier they become and if too salty change water and soak until you get them right for your taste.