Boiled Peanuts

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

Boiled Peanuts

Post by jslorenz3 »

Hey guys,

I've heard that peanuts only need to be boiled for 4 hours or so on high in the slow cooker or 3 hours on the stove. It always takes mine a lot longer are there any tips on how to make it go faster? Or is everything that I am hearing wrong? Thanks

Tight lines
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Boiled Peanuts

Post by Dubble Trubble »

3 hours on the stove is about right. I do not like mine "mushy". You need to keep the water just boiling. Too much heat and the water will evaporate. After 3 hours, taste them, If they are not salty enough, turn off the fire and let them sit in the water till they are.

In my opinion, way too many people overcook peanuts and they get a nasty taste to them.

Also, starting out with a good boiling peanut is a must. The ones that Wal-Mart sells are just plain nasty! The best around these parts is Fulford's in Monticello.

30 bux a bushel, and they are already clean and ready to go in pot!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Dubble Trubble wrote:3 hours on the stove is about right. I do not like mine "mushy". You need to keep the water just boiling. Too much heat and the water will evaporate. After 3 hours, taste them, If they are not salty enough, turn off the fire and let them sit in the water till they are.

In my opinion, way too many people overcook peanuts and they get a nasty taste to them.

Also, starting out with a good boiling peanut is a must. The ones that Wal-Mart sells are just plain nasty! The best around these parts is Fulford's in Monticello.

30 bux a bushel, and they are already clean and ready to go in pot!

You hit the nail on the head. :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I will add that I tried it in a slow cooker (crock pot) and did not like the results.

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dino 08

Post by Dino 08 »

Pressure cooker for 30-40 mins. Let sit in pot until desired salt taste. Drain water. DONE....
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I use my fish cooker and let it boil at 250 for 3 hours.
Team Jolly Mon
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Flint River Pirate wrote:I use my fish cooker and let it boil at 250 for 3 hours.

Yep. Same here. Works great with a bunch to boil.

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Pressure cooker for 30-40 mins. Let sit in pot until desired salt taste. Drain water. DONE....
Got 20 quarts in the freezer..... mmmmm Love'm :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Here is my 2 cents.

The time is dependent on the maturity of the peanut. The less mature the less time. Time to cook also depends on personal taste. I like mine a little under cooked. As some has suggested, let the peanuts sit in salted water to absorb more salt. I like my peanuts dry on the outside so would not soak mine, letting the steam for the hot taken up nuts dry the hull.

Mr. C A Fullford told me one time if you have a large crowd to feed and not enough peanuts make them salty and they go farther. I prefer less salt and have more of the peanut taste.

So.....a lot of the answer to your question goes back to personal taste. If you don't have one, eat enough to develop one and cook to please your taste or cook in a pressure cooker for faster cooking time.

Anyway you do it....the'll be good!

I love boiled peanuts!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

If you would like to try something different get some raw dryed shelled peanuts soak over night like you would dried beans salt not to heavy boil about an hour they'll hurt you
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I do mine in the slow cooker during football season. The trick for me it to add a few beers to the peanuts and then top it off with water, and I let it cook about 4 hours on high and then switch it to low for a few more hours. I especially like this with a darker beer like a porter. Make the peanuts turn a darker color which looks odd at first, but you cant beat the taste.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

How much salt do you add to the water? I would lie to make some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

2 cups
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

redbelly7 wrote:2 cups
okay. To how much water. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Kan, Fresh raw peanuts will float on water but fill boiler until the peanuts began to rise on the bottom of the pot. Salt is added until the water is saltier than you want to drink. About like sea water. Remember the salt has to get through the hull. Actually, often times we do not use salt. Peanuts, especially the mature fresh ones taste good to me without salt. If they are young, before mature, they are better with salt.

Just try some and add or subtract from there.

I never measure.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP