Got a new toy

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Got a new toy

Post by reelbad »

Just bought a new smoker, the Masterbuilt electric. Tried it with a boston butt and it turned out very moist and tasty. I have a large 125 gal propane tank pull behind grill/smoker that we built last year at Capital City Trailers and it cooks very good. I just wanted something a little smaller for cooking small portions or for a crowd of 30 or more. The electric will do that just fine and is easy to regulate. You just set the temp and time, add wood chips and open a cold beverage and relax. I wanted to buy the Big Green Egg but it was not in the budget right now.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Got a new toy

Post by SS-342 »

Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like you fixed something worth eating.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
G3Tales

Post by G3Tales »

green egg over rated my man! good choice!
:beer: :beer:
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Where did you buy it Reelbad?
Team Jolly Mon
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

G3Tales wrote:green egg over rated my man! good choice!
Can't beat the green egg for searing a steak at 650 degrees, grilling veggies, etc. Much better for grilling than a gass grill and doesn't have hardly any parts to break and replace. We went through two webers ($500 each) before we bought our first egg ($1000). The egg is about five years old. We just bought a second egg about two weeks ago. Craig's List, used once ($500). It does a great job of smoking meat, but definately needs tending to. I've been looking at the Masterbuilt Smoker for smoking meat because of less monitoring. Glad to hear that it does a good job. May need to consider adding that to the grilling arsenal, especially when smoking lots of meat. I've posted this link before, but for grilling enthusiasts check this site out. It has everything you would need to know about grilling including how to deal with the "stall" www.amazingribs.com Not just a rib site. All sorts of grilling, recipes, equipment, technical stuff about grilling. Good all around website.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Flint River Pirate wrote:Where did you buy it Reelbad?
Sam's Club. They had them for a few dollars less than Academy which had them on sale.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

tallykenjsbetterhalf wrote:
G3Tales wrote:green egg over rated my man! good choice!
Can't beat the green egg for searing a steak at 650 degrees, grilling veggies, etc. Much better for grilling than a gass grill and doesn't have hardly any parts to break and replace. We went through two webers ($500 each) before we bought our first egg ($1000). The egg is about five years old. We just bought a second egg about two weeks ago. Craig's List, used once ($500). It does a great job of smoking meat, but definately needs tending to. I've been looking at the Masterbuilt Smoker for smoking meat because of less monitoring. Glad to hear that it does a good job. May need to consider adding that to the grilling arsenal, especially when smoking lots of meat. I've posted this link before, but for grilling enthusiasts check this site out. It has everything you would need to know about grilling including how to deal with the "stall" www.amazingribs.com Not just a rib site. All sorts of grilling, recipes, equipment, technical stuff about grilling. Good all around website.
If you think you want one you can try mine before you make the purchase. They are easy to transport in the bed of a truck. I also have a large pull behind for anyone needing to cook for a large party. Or you can hire me to do your cooking and catering. I can fix the side dishes or just the meats. 408-2575. This goes for anyone on BBF. If you need references, ask Chuck Collins, Jeff Trent, Steve Taylor.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I have both: Electric -- Sam's Club $300. used it three times. Easy to use. Makes smoked meat, just not great smoked meat.
Green Egg(large) $1,100. Been using for three years. Easy to use once you learn the tricks. Use this ammazing cooker three and four time a week. Once i learnt the basics, i started concentrating on cooking the entire meal at the same time, like sides of grilled veggies,corn, squash,eggplant,etc.. Have cooked for a party of 150 people, no problem. Yes, the egg is an investment, but it will be the last and best cooker you will ever need. I have, right now, a $350.00 Smokin Hollow, the $300.00 Masterbuilt, a $500.00 Stainless Steel gasser and a $5,600. Broaster(pressure frier) and they are collecting dust since i started eatin food off this Green Egg. And all it is, is an outside oven that you can smoke in!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great topic. Concerning the master built electric smoker, they are easy an convenient, but the heating element can go bad relatively quickly. My pa on law had one that only lasted 2 yrs. My buddy had one that went out in 2 yrs, but his second one is going on 3. I considered(am considering ) buying one for fish as it is a little difficult to smoke at 200 in my webber bullet.
I used to have an egg and it was great at cooking at higher temps, but the temperature was much harder to fine tune at low smoking temps compared to the bullet. As far as webbers not lasting, they aren't built like they once were, but mine is 9 yrs old and going strong.
One thing I would recommend to anyone smoking on anything would be a Maverick redi check wireless barbecue thermometer set ET-732. It has one probe for smoker temp and one for meat temp. The reciever can read 300' away. Last weekend I was able to clean a mess of fish and keep a constant eye on the temp. It also has a setting to alarm you if the smoker gets too hot or cool or if the meat gets over a predetermined temp. So you can smoke while you sleep. I can't live without it now. Good luck to all smokers.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

A real problem with the Masterbuilt Electric is keeping it clean -- very poor design in that the inside of the front door sweats the entire time it smokes. This greasy condensate runs down and out the bottom of the door, making it a problem to keep clean.
My green egg cruises on the low temperature around 240 degrees and will stay there (my longest cook) for 26 hours. With a new gasket i probably can get as low as 220 degrees. Most of my Green Egg cooks are up around 350 to 400, chickens, turkey, and steaks at 500, pizza maybe 550. Owning an egg is a "learning experience", but well worth the effort...
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Charlie Tuna is right. Owning an Egg is a learning experience, but once you have mastered the ability to control the temperature, which is easy once you figure it out. The trickier thing is to figure out how much charcoal to load in if planning on smoking for a long period of time. It's not fun to have to unload everything to add more charcoal, so I add a lot and hope not to have to add more. I can keep the egg at 225 for hours. Don't know about 26 hours though! The best smoked meat I've had has come off that EGG. Actually, the best grilled anything. The wireless thermometer is a must have. We have one and it really is handy not to have to run out and check grill or meat temperature. I would recommend getting the high temperature probes also.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

There is little problem maintaining 240 degrees for 24 hours! Once the egg get's stabilized(hot throughout) it doesn't take much to keep it going at this low temperature. The nice thing is, when you finish cooking, you close the vents, and that shuts the fire off, then you re-use the lump coal on the next cook. Just finished dinner, two strip steaks, and grilled fresh veggies. Everyting cooked to temperature. Couple of excellent internet forums to help you thru the tough times. We have never, ate this good!! And i am not talking about expensive "money" cooks, the chicken is something else!!! And "pulled pork" -- forget it !! Lifetime guarentee.....
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

charlie tuna wrote:There is little problem maintaining 240 degrees for 24 hours! Once the egg get's stabilized(hot throughout) it doesn't take much to keep it going at this low temperature. The nice thing is, when you finish cooking, you close the vents, and that shuts the fire off, then you re-use the lump coal on the next cook. Just finished dinner, two strip steaks, and grilled fresh veggies. Everyting cooked to temperature. Couple of excellent internet forums to help you thru the tough times. We have never, ate this good!! And i am not talking about expensive "money" cooks, the chicken is something else!!! And "pulled pork" -- forget it !! Lifetime guarentee.....

Yep! Beer can chicken on the Egg is AWESOME!!!! I just read a very interesting article on amazingribs.com. I always sear my steaks first then finish them off. Apparently, they are much more tender if you grill them first and then pop the heat up to 650 and sear them at the end. Lots of folks posted in response to trying that and all were amazed. I'll have to try that tomorrow night in between rain drops. :-D
bman

Post by bman »

I've been thinking about a Traeger Pellet smoker...
Anyone have one?

Pull behinds...I got this one about a year ago:
Great for crowds and Ive done some killer steaks on it!

Anyone is welcome to borrow it for an event...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Traegers are nice, I don't have one, but a good buddy is a dealer in central fl. They work well, more of a set it and forget it type of smoker. I've had ribs and chicken off of it,which came out great, but never a butt. Y'all have gotten my mouth watering. Sounds like the BBF barbecue challenge shouldn't be far off.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven