Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Post by charlie tuna »

Got this recipe from "allrecipes.com" and got in a pinch Christmas morning and it was a hit !! I doubled the recipe and had to cook it a little longer but it really came out great!! There wasn't any "leftovers" if you know what i mean !! :lick:

Ingredients:
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs beaten
2 cups of milk
6 slices white bread toasted and cut into cubes
8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:
1) Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown, drain.

2) In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs, and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.

3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

4) Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

Makes eight servings.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Post by Sir reel »

That's a very good general receipe for the breakfast casserole. I've used a similar one with the exception of using Stove Top Stuffing in place of the bread. Sprinkle the cooked sausage in a baking dish with the stove top sprinkled over it just enough to cover the bottom, then add the egg mixture.

Lots of options if you like. Add chopped onions, hot sauce, red and green bell pepper for color, ground cumnin, etc. I use more eggs and a bit less milk.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
charlie tuna

Re: Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Post by charlie tuna »

Sir reel wrote:That's a very good general receipe for the breakfast casserole. I've used a similar one with the exception of using Stove Top Stuffing in place of the bread. Sprinkle the cooked sausage in a baking dish with the stove top sprinkled over it just enough to cover the bottom, then add the egg mixture.

Lots of options if you like. Add chopped onions, hot sauce, red and green bell pepper for color, ground cumnin, etc. I use more eggs and a bit less milk.
Yes, there are many different recipes "similar" to this one, but they require different cook methods and times. Something different about THIS recipe..............