Fried Ladyfish: not bad

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Fried Ladyfish: not bad

Post by GaryDroze »

Caught a big long one right at the end of the day last Friday. Got it on ice within 20 minutes. Tried the "spoon fillet" method posted elsewhere on the site. The fillets were not real pretty, but when pan-fried in butter & diced tomatoes, then finished with the obligatory shakes of salt/pepper and squirt of lemon, they tasted fine. A notch below reds & trout, but WAY better than mud cats & gar. My summary:

1. Don't bother keeping small ones (not enough bone-free flesh), or any that you can't get to the cooler quickly. They get mushy.
2. Practice a few times on the spoon fillet method. You will get lotsa needly bones until you figure out that they aren't framed like trout.
3. Big ladyfish can save the day if you are otherwise skunked. It was a pleasant surprise.

I confess to being inspired by re-reading a favorite Carl Hiaasen novel, wherein the hero thrives on roadkill. Go Skink!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Fried Ladyfish: not bad

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:smt078 :smt078
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
bman

Post by bman »

I told ya so...
If you do them like the video there are no bones.
and the flavor is good.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

This is a topic I never thought I would see discussed. I caught a few last week but they made such a mess on the deck of my boat that I could never get that image out of my head.
Team Jolly Mon