Flounder/crab ceviche

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Flounder/crab ceviche

Post by GaryDroze »

For those who think my tastes reside in the gutter, just because I cook everything I catch at least once, including trash fish...

Caught 1 hefty flounder & one huge crab today. While the crab boiled for a minute in the pot, I diced the flounder and "cooked" it in lemon/lime juice. Then made a ceviche base of fresh corn, black beans, cilantro, cucumber, green olives, diced tomatoes, scallions, red onions, and salsa (Paul Newman's, but any thick one will do). Two hours later the lemon/lime had worked its magic on the flounder, which I combined with the crab and base.

Served it cold, with dipping chips. Gone in ten minutes.

I will put this recipe up against anything on the forum.
gatorgirl1

Re: Flounder/crab ceviche

Post by gatorgirl1 »

Sounds delicious to me!!!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Nothing like a good Ceviche! We made it with Grouper about a month ago. One of my favorite ways to eat fish. :lick:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

GaryDroze wrote:For those who think my tastes reside in the gutter, just because I cook everything I catch at least once, including trash fish...

Caught 1 hefty flounder & one huge crab today. While the crab boiled for a minute in the pot, I diced the flounder and "cooked" it in lemon/lime juice. Then made a ceviche base of fresh corn, black beans, cilantro, cucumber, green olives, diced tomatoes, scallions, red onions, and salsa (Paul Newman's, but any thick one will do). Two hours later the lemon/lime had worked its magic on the flounder, which I combined with the crab and base.

Served it cold, with dipping chips. Gone in ten minutes.

I will put this recipe up against anything on the forum.
No wonder you run like a deer. :-D
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

when you make ceviche, how do you know when the lime/lemon juice has "cooked" the fish? I've never made it and don't think I've ever had it but do want to try it....will the fish look cooked? Be all flaky?

Danibeth
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

2-3 hours gets it done. After that, I drain off the juice. You can use the fish right away, or put them back in the fridge. If I keep them in the juice much longer, they start to get mushy. You'll know they are ready, as the flesh turns white.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks Gary