Salt curing mullet

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Salt curing mullet

Post by SS-342 »

Does anyone know how to salt cure mullet?

I would like to try curing some like they did years ago.

Thanks
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
TallyFish

Re: Salt curing mullet

Post by TallyFish »

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Cool paper. With refrigeration, salting lost its allure. However, the old man at what we called Spring Creek (not the one with the cronicles, but the one where if you kept straight where the road to Keaton Beach take a 90 degree turn) loved salt mullet. Several times when we went there to eat fresh fried mullet, he had drying and salting racks set up. That man could clean a mullet in a wink of an eye and he cleaned them all, whether for salting of frying in the same manner described in this paper. He put the mullet up in old wooden nail kegs that he kept and cleaned out each year.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks TallyFish! That was a well written paper.

MudDucker does that person still salt mullet or was that some time back?

Thanks for the information!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

SS-342 wrote:Thanks TallyFish! That was a well written paper.

MudDucker does that person still salt mullet or was that some time back?

Thanks for the information!
That feller has been dead for 20 years at least. I don't even know if that little fish camp exists anymore.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

MudDucker wrote:
SS-342 wrote:
That feller has been dead for 20 years at least. I don't even know if that little fish camp exists anymore.
Thank you! I'll ask around, we need some salt mullet to use in a Live Nativity we are doing at Christmas.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Slippy Drippy

Post by Slippy Drippy »

I've never had any myself. We always smoke ours along with blues, Spanish, etc. Hard to beat a smoked or fried mullet, but I may to give it a try to compare. Is it an acquired taste or one that's naturally appealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="Slippy Drippy"]I've never had any myself. We always smoke ours along with blues, Spanish, etc. Hard to beat a smoked or fried mullet, but I may to give it a try to compare. Is it an acquired taste or one that's naturally appealing?

Slippy Drippy, as a child we had salt mullet on a regular basis. Mama would soak it in fresh water over night to cook it the next day. Two generations before me, my families would plan trips to the coast to buy salt mullet in barrels to eat during the winter. Some of my families made a vacation trip out of it and all (children, men, women and old folks) would load up in wagons and on horses and made the one or two week trip. They camped in the woods and killed game as they went to cook. It was a big, fun trip! Other families made preparations for the livestock to be cared for and the man of the house went alone or with a neighbor to buy barrels of salt mullet for their families and to sell. Salt mullet was a staple winter food.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Slippy Drippy

Post by Slippy Drippy »

SS-342, that makes me want to go back in time to see the way things used to be. I'm sure it was a much simpler lifestyle in many ways, but a great deal harder as well. As much a I love mullet, I don't know that I'd want to eat it every day. I bet by mid-winter they were at least "as ready" as we are for the spring bite to turn on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free