Oysters

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Oysters

Post by fishing coach »

Looking to get a bushel of oysters for game tomorrow, but I'm wary with all the warm weather we've had. Anyone bought any lately and where in Tallahassee did you get them. Also, other than raw, what's your favorite way to prepare them?
randymullaly

Re: Oysters

Post by randymullaly »

I wouldn't eat them raw but would (and do) eat them steamed (actually smoked). I get them a Spears Seafood on 90 right off Capital Circle N.W. I have a large electric smoker with 4 trays. I usually put them in the smoker with hickory wood chips at around 200 degrees and leave them in till the shells crack open. Box of crackers,bottle of hot sauce and a jar of fresh horseradish you're in business!
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Since they are $80 a bag and my wife doesn't eat them I have been buying them by the pint. About four dozen already shucked. Throw them in some Zatarans and then in the Frydaddy.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

I have been buying the Florida farm-raised from Publix. I used get a dozen or two for about 80 cents a piece. Maybe they would cut you a better deal on a dozen, but they have been tasty. I was impressed with the farm-raised. I usually eat them by myself since the lady doesn't like them.

Aside from raw, I like them grilled or broiled. I season them with some combination of a sliver of butter, a few drops of meyer's lemon juice, the subtlest sprinkle of a favorite bbq rub, or a small drop of pickapeppa sauce. Usually takes about 8-10 minutes, or until the edges curl.

You could do the same recipe in a smoker for a little longer.
Bubba_1122

Post by Bubba_1122 »

I buy a bushel during Christmas for the family every year.

Buy every kind of cheese imaginable. Real bacon bits. Jalapeños. Herbs. Garlic. Etc Etc (everyone has their favorites but we also use a lot of imagination).

Have 2 cast iron oyster cookers - each has indentations for a dozen. They're pretty neat.

Have trained my son in laws to shuck em while I cook em.

Cook the oysters on a very hot grill. We leave the oyster in the half shell.

We steady rotate them through the grill. Never sit down to eat. Just cook oysters and stand around the island in the kitchen and eat oysters with whatever else we want (go through a lot of hot sauce) as everyone get's artistic regarding what goes on the next batch.

It's become a tradition that most of our crew very much looks forward to.

PS - I'm gonna expand this year and make oyster stew as well.