Grilling fish????

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: Grilling fish????

Post by woopty »

I like to put cobia or grouper in a rack like H&M,
but then I swab mayo mixed with garlic and seasoning all over it.
Learned that in the keys.

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

GaryDroze wrote:In an attempt to get some of my high school runners who turn their nose up at fish but eat cow, I tried to come up with a marinade that makes reds taste like steak.

Mixed olive oil, lots of worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic, with some pepper tossed in. Diced onions also go into the mix.

It's still fish, but looks kinda like steak due to the w. sauce, and a big platter of grilled redfish empties out in no time after track practice.
. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

DixieReb wrote:Anybody on here ever grill shark or bluefish? They are good.
. The next blue I catch I will.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:YOU BOYS NEED TO TRY SOME (SWEET BABY RAY'S BAR B/Q) SAUCE BASTING REGULARLY ON BOTH SIDES, ALONG WITH PLENTY OF SALT AND PEPPER.
PA
SEMPER FI
. Hmmm not sure about bar b q fish. But I'll try it.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

woopty wrote:I like to put cobia or grouper in a rack like H&M,
but then I swab mayo mixed with garlic and seasoning all over it.
Learned that in the keys.

woop
. That sounds real good.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:Cayenne pepper and paprika is my goto base. Then garlic and lemon pepper. I've also started brining fish in a strong salt mix with wirchestershir sauce and a few other spices. I like to slow cook it. A buddy of mine will brush it with blue cheese dressing and garlic.

But, if you can get the grill hot enough, you can't do much better than blackening with a good rub.
. Mmmm

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Russ@R&R wrote:Marinate for a few hrs. in Zesty Italian dressing. Sprinkle on some Old Bay & Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, grill directly over coals. Brush on mixture of fresh lemon juice, butter & any other spices you like.
. Sounds good to me.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Lots of great ideas to try thanks guys.

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Scale and gut the fish, leave the head on and don't fillet.

In a skillet, sautee some onion, bell pepper (green and red), celery, scallions, and garlic in some butter or olive oil. Once they start to brown, take them and stuff the gut cavity of the fish. You can sew up the cavity with some kitchen twine, but it is not necessary if you are careful not to spill the veggies when you handle the fish,

Place the fish on a greased grill, and cook until done, flipping every now and then.

The skin holds all the moisture in, and the veggies will infuse their flavor throughout the fish. I've done this with trout and black sea bass.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Love blackened redfish on the grill and often cook cobia the exact same way (blackened in very hot cast iron skillet heated on the grill at highest setting).

Just keeping it real, I hated eating fish as a kid (though ALWAYS have loved FISHING) and still don't like what I believe to be "fishier" tasting fish that are oily or have darker flesh.

Not surprisingly, I love whiter fleshed fish with flounder my favorite, and with redfish and cobia on my favorite list as well. That shared, sharks and king macks I've grilled did NOT taste that fishy to me! Shark is tighter grained meat and holds together REALLY well on the grill. One caveat on the shark and king macks not tasting too fishy is that I soak them in milk overnight before cooking. Also trim visible bloodlines off all the fish I cook. While the king macks tasted good to me hot off the grill, leftovers from the very same cooked cuts tasted considerably more "fishy" to me when re-warmed the day after being cooked. Try to make sure I cook just enough so I don't have leftovers now. :thumbup: :beer: :lick:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

big bend gyrene wrote:Love blackened redfish on the grill and often cook cobia the exact same way (blackened in very hot cast iron skillet heated on the grill at highest setting).

Just keeping it real, I hated eating fish as a kid (though ALWAYS have loved FISHING) and still don't like what I believe to be "fishier" tasting fish that are oily or have darker flesh.

Not surprisingly, I love whiter fleshed fish with flounder my favorite, and with redfish and cobia on my favorite list as well. That shared, sharks and king macks I've grilled did NOT taste that fishy to me! Shark is tighter grained meat and holds together REALLY well on the grill. One caveat on the shark and king macks not tasting too fishy is that I soak them in milk overnight before cooking. Also trim visible bloodlines off all the fish I cook. While the king macks tasted good to me hot off the grill, leftovers from the very same cooked cuts tasted considerably more "fishy" to me when re-warmed the day after being cooked. Try to make sure I cook just enough so I don't have leftovers now. :thumbup: :beer: :lick:
. Can you use blackened seasoning without skillet?

CalGarretson

Post by CalGarretson »

Redfish on the half shell with a liberal coating of basil pesto before hitting the charcoal grill is tough to beat at my house.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

CalGarretson wrote:Redfish on the half shell with a liberal coating of basil pesto before hitting the charcoal grill is tough to beat at my house.
. Half shell meaning skin and scales on?

Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Redfish on the half shell is great....and yup, just fillet the fish with skin and scales on....

I've used Cajun seasoning and spices and lemon slices laid across the meat

On redfish, I've also used fresh figs sliced and placed across the meat with lightly cooked sliced onions and salt and pepper and then just a dash of orange juice instead of lemon juice

On striper and salmon I like to use an herb crust that I make of cilantro, thyme, shallots, lemon zest, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, then a little salt and pepper

You can't go wrong with butter and Mrs. Dash and lemon juice either

I'm not a big fan of reheated fish (mainly because of the fishiness it gets in smell and taste) for leftovers and the recipes I've described above are actually pretty good the next day as cold fish.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Brush the fillet with olive oil, sprinkle on a mixture of brown sugar & Old Bay seasoning.