Homemade Sausage

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ontiltttttt

Homemade Sausage

Post by ontiltttttt »

Killed a sow hog a few weeks ago and I'm gonna turn her into some sausage. Looking for recommendations about seasonsings that you guys like and the meat-to-fat ratio that I should use. Thanks in advance.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade Sausage

Post by Steve Stinson »

Bradley's sells their spice recipe in packets at their store if you like their sausage. My favorite is Limestone sausage that you get out toward Monticello, but I don't know if they sell their spices separately.
Chuck Simpson on this forum makes a lot of his own sausage and can give more advice on the prep. I tend to hang out at the grill in the consumption stage of the process. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Leggs sausage seasoning. Follow the directions on the package and you can't go wrong. :thumbup:
HuntingNole

Post by HuntingNole »

Legg's Old Plantation is what we've always used. Several choices, but #109 is what we like since it has a little more heat. Like One Keeper said, can't go wrong.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

One Keeper wrote:Leggs sausage seasoning. Follow the directions on the package and you can't go wrong. :thumbup:
I agree.
We always add 1/2 box brown sugar and about 1/4 cup red pepper flakes to each 25 lb batch. If you don't like it hot, leave out the red pepper.
If you use the whole hog, and she wasn't too thin, you don't need to add any fat.
Cold smoke it for a few hours and you got yourself some of the absolute best sausage you'll ever taste.
BTW, I don't recommend cold-smoking pork in this weather. In fact, I only make sausage when it's cold outside. Pork fat spoils really fast.
Also, if you're just doing ground sausage and not stuffing it, I prefer it without the sugar.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb