Kayak for bad back - recommendations

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Lic0rice

Kayak for bad back - recommendations

Post by Lic0rice »

I've fished from a kayak numerous times but can no longer tolerate those with low seats....kills my lower back. I need to have my tush 6"- 8"+ above my feet. So I'm in the market for a new fishing kayak. Starting from scratch in my search.

Any recommendations under $1500 will be greatly appreciated!!
FishWithChris

Re: Kayak for bad back - recommendations

Post by FishWithChris »

Give Harry a call at Harry Smith Outdoors, or stop by his shop in Railroad Square. Good dude, super knowledgeable, and specializes in Kayaks. He'll get ya setup!

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

FishWithChris wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:19 am Give Harry a call at Harry Smith Outdoors, or stop by his shop in Railroad Square.
I agree! He will even let you take a test paddle.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Second the Harry Smith recommendation.

I have a FeelFree Lure 13.5 that is about as comfortable/stable of a kayak as they make. One of the major features is the seat and you can adjust it easily while in the kayak.

That being said, there are a lot of tradeoffs for comfort and stability. It is a barge and can be a PITA to transport.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Lic0rice

Post by Lic0rice »

Thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely head over to Harry Smith's.
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

I was at Railroad Square tonight for First Night and told Harry to expect you. He was really pleased with all of your recommendations and excited to see the posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Harry will do you right. I recently picked up a Perception Outlaw from him. Seat sits nice and high and is stable enough to stand and fish. It's not built for speed, but it's super stable and I use it primarily for fishing.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Kaku Voodoo. Check those out online.

The seat is crazy comfortable and easy to stand from. It is a heavy model, so it would be hard to drag it very far. I loaded it into to my mule one handed when I had a hook in on finger though. Not easy, but I did it just fine. It checks all your boxes and you are welcome to take mine for a paddle when I get back from out of town at the end of the month.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Honestly, with a bad back, and having had 3 fishing Kayaks over the years......get a Gheenoe. The 15'4 model with a 9.9 will run 15mph and float anywhere a yak will go. It's a breeze to load on its small and lightweight trailer and you can tow it with anything. You can add super comfortable folding seats and a 45 lb trolling motor, and BAM you are fishing cheap and comfortable. You can easily stand up to fish and/or stretch out your back. They will tell you you can stand up on a yak.....well I never could on any of them.

Cheap used Gheeenoe's are pretty easy to find as are used 10hp or less outboards.

I switched to a Gheenoe LT-25 model with a 25hp Yamaha. I caught more and bigger fish out of that little boat than any other fancy boat I own or have owned.

And I was a fool to sell it. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

X2 on what Rocky said. Also based on the weight of all the kayaks manufactured today it will save your back to not have to lift one.