Which Kayak to buy at Sporting Goods Store

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Which Kayak to buy at Sporting Goods Store

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

I am a beginner at Kayaks but I see a great sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for Kayaks and I plan to buy one by Saturday.
I am mainly going to use it for fishing not to far from the beach in St George Island, St. Marks Refuge, Destin and Carrabelle.
I may fish freshwater sometimes
Which would you recommend?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Which Kayak to buy at Sporting Goods Store

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I am going to strongly recommend that you spend a little more and purchase a premium brand kayak like a Feelfree, Hobie, Native, Jackson, Ocean Kayak or a Wilderness Systems. You can find them pre-owned all the time if you are working with a budget. The big box stores sell kayaks that are very frustrating to paddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Flint River Pirate wrote:I am going to strongly recommend that you spend a little more and purchase a premium brand kayak like a Feelfree, Hobie, Native, Jackson, Ocean Kayak or a Wilderness Systems. You can find them pre-owned all the time if you are working with a budget. The big box stores sell kayaks that are very frustrating to paddle.

Yep X2 :smt004
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Ok, do you know stores around Tallahassee or close to Tallahassee that I can go look at them?
Any particular model you recommend?
I am trying to keep it around an $700 budget or less.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Go to Tractor Supply they have them for $199.00.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

DEADLYMNM7 wrote:Ok, do you know stores around Tallahassee or close to Tallahassee that I can go look at them?
Any particular model you recommend?
I am trying to keep it around an $700 budget or less.
Wilderness way. For used yaks look at fcka
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Craig's List / Tallahassee as a few every week. Some are within your price range.

Try a few out and decide if you want a sit-inside or a sit-on-top. Pay attention to the width, stability, and seat comfort. Those items are not easily modified. Anything else you can add or modify the way you like once you've put some hours in the kayak.

Wilderness Way and a couple other local kayak stores will let you rent them as well, so you can try different models out before deciding which one to purchase.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

In the classifieds on fcka there is a ride 135 for $500. A few others also

http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=14
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
OneTripletail

Post by OneTripletail »

I am in the same boat, looking for a Kayak. I know everyone says buy the big name brands, but Academy has the Perception Pescador Angler 12' Sit-On Kayak for 399 right now. That's 150 off. Most of the reviews I have seen have been fairly positive, what are some thoughts on this yak? Thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not positive but believe Perception is made by Native Watercraft.

Like boats, there are trade-offs with kayaks too. Some like sit-inside, others prefer the sit-on-top. Budget, comfort level, amount of use all come into play.

Kinda of like Ford vs. Chevy. Although everyone knows Ford is the best. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Check Tally Yakkers too. Tell Lee that Dave Walton sent you, he will hook you up.

http://tallyyakkers.net/contact/

Team Jolly Mon
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

I know everyone says buy the big name brands, but Academy has the Perception Pescador Angler 12' Sit-On Kayak for 399 right now. That's 150 off. Most of the reviews I have seen have been fairly positive, what are some thoughts on this yak?
I've had this yak for over a year now and don't have any complaints at all. Everything I've read says that the Pescador 12 is the exact mold of the old Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. My experience has been consistent with the positive reviews - tracks well and relatively fast. As far as stability, it's exactly what you'd expect - good stability but you won't be able to fish standing up (it's a kayak, after all). Buy a set of scupper plugs to keep your butt dry, and you're in business. Mine was modestly equipped with a single rod holder behind the seat, so I've added another behind the seat and a flush Scotty mount to the center console. Add an anchor trolley and a paddle clip (if not included), and you're set for fishing. Of course, if you can find a used "high-end" yak in good shape, go for it. Otherwise, the Pescador is a great value, IMHO.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

My buddy has a Perception Pescador 12 and I own a Heritage Redfish 12. From looks alone (and understandably especially if the Pescador is based off a WS Tarpon) his looks faster than mine; albeit less stable. It's probably made of some less-dense plastic; but my tandem is a cheap Mainstream Tango, and I beat the crap out of it. I found the Tango on the side of a road (it fell out of a moving vehicle), I routinely drop it from 5 ft in the air (height of my car and rack), slam it against oysters beds. rocks, and trunks, leave it outside through summer and winter, and she's as good as the day I found her in the middle of the road. In the very least, the Pescador has at least a better build quality than the Tango; and that'll be just fine.

Regarding the performance of the Perception Pescador: I've never fished or paddeled it. It has basically the same ammenities as my Redfish: a dry hold behind the seat, a front semi-dry covered hold, flat floor, rod holders, and that little storage space in the stern. It's thinner so faster, but less stable (I don't try standing on my kayak), and it looks a helluva a lot like a WS Tarpon. It's the same debate between Heritage/Native Redfish vs WS Tarpon; I like Chevy Trucks.

Long story short. Look to CL for used deals, but if you're looking new kayak, the Pescador 12 Angler is a very good option.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

The pescador is just a rebadged old tarpon. Its a great boat at a great price.
wilderness way is the place to go for all your kayak needs.....and they sell off their rental fleet at extreme discount if you want to hold out for a higher end yak.

The ride over at fcka.net classifieds is a deal! Great boat ( heavy though....)
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Do you know when Wilderness way sells their rental fleet?