St. George Island 13th-21st

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JPVERN

St. George Island 13th-21st

Post by JPVERN »

Man I've waited all year to get back here.
This will be my first year bringing a kayak and fishing.
I hope to have some good reports, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to fish early morning until around 11, then some night off the bridge and surf.
My first attack will be at the boat ramp in the state park and around that area, then over to the bridge area, then putting in around 12th street and trying my way down to the cut.
Hopefully it all turns out well.
Whether it be with weapon or with wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
EddieJoe

Re: St. George Island 13th-21st

Post by EddieJoe »

JPVERN wrote:Man I've waited all year to get back here.
This will be my first year bringing a kayak and fishing.
I hope to have some good reports, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to fish early morning until around 11, then some night off the bridge and surf.
My first attack will be at the boat ramp in the state park and around that area, then over to the bridge area, then putting in around 12th street and trying my way down to the cut.
Hopefully it all turns out well.
FWIW, give yourself some slack with the kayak and long paddles out and back. Wind plays a huge role in moving the kayak easily or staying in one spot. If you can, rig up an anchor of some sort to stay in position. Depending on your kayak, this could be a fiberglass pole to tie to or an anchor that you deploy off the bow. There are various systems for this. On a long paddle, make sure you have the energy to get back in case the wind changes. If all else fails, go into shore and beach the kayak for later retrieval. Bring lots of water, and a small soft cooler for fish. Be especially careful using lures with trebles, I was out in a kayak last week and ran a treble completely through my little finger. Bring side cutters. Bring the cell phone in a sturdy plastic bag or waterproof box so you can call for assistance or to let the family know you are O.K.

Start out with a short trip, then go longer. have a great time.

EJ
JPVERN

Post by JPVERN »

Thanks for the tips..
I'm used to open water from fishing lakes up here in N. Georgia, and I'm used to the ocean, as I grew up fishing it in small boats. BUT, I'm sure "kayaking the ocean" is a whole new adventure.
I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!
I was glad to see an article about keeping shrimp alive (or very fresh) with a small cooler/ice/paper/sawdust. I have a soft sided cooler that I think I'll bring along to keep a few fish. I have to admit I'm a little skeptical of having fish on the boat and their scent getting out too far. I know SGI has a lot of sharks and I don't want to be a floating bait tank for one of them.
Like I said, it's a new adventure and I'm anxious to get it under my belt. I have a new work schedule and plan to be doing much more.
I currently have a 12ft Pescador I fish from. I want to upgrade next year for something a little more stable and with more room, but I believe I'll do fine this time. I'm thinking I might rent a kayak for a day or 2 so my 11yr old son can go out with me. He currently has a sit-in so I'm opting not to bring it.
Thanks again for the info. I hope to be posting good pictures.
Whether it be with weapon or with wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

JP, The areas you have mentioned should be close with the yak. The state park is especially easy to access. 12th street is a longer paddle unless you can put in near there somewhere. Plenty of fish biting but the trout bite has been inconsistent.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
JPVERN

Post by JPVERN »

I'll probably stay mostly to the east end of the island unless I see that the weather is 'just right'..
What about Indian Pass. I'd love to get across to the inner banks of St. Vincent (if it's good fishing).
I'd also really like to get across the (Sikes/government) cut and around those inner banks.
I'm no stranger to an ALL DAY paddle, I'm just not sure about the waters and
HOW DO YOU GET TO THE CUT if you are not staying on the "plantation" area??
I'm hoping to make this trip (all around the forgotten coast) a regular thing, several times a year.
It's a 6 hour drive, but worth it for a few days of good yak fishing.
SO MOTE IT BE
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I'm trying to wean myself off of the live shrimp, but I used to take a simple Frabill flow troll bucket and a battery-powered aerator. I'd throw it in the back with the tackle bag, and I'd throw the fish in the front hatch. I also use an anchor on an anchor rigging most of the time. I only don't when I'm being pushed towards the coast, which never seems to be the case for me. You don't want to be battling wind, current, and tide for the return paddle if you drift too far out. Get a beefy anchor and 50ish feet of anchor rope. Mine is a 15 lb folding grapnel anchor and it still drags when the tide is scooting hard, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though. I also take a handheld VHF radio with me, just in case things get too hairy. A PFD with pockets also helps to save a lot of space by having tools on-hand so you can scale down the tackle box. I've been considering getting some sort of paddle leash or just keeping the spare set in the hatch too. As far as navigation I just bring a compass and printed NOAA charts.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

You may want to look at the forum http://www.fcka.net/home/ It's the local kayak club and has a lot of information on this area. You may be able to link up with some of thier members to fish with.
JPVERN

Post by JPVERN »

Tidedancer wrote:You may want to look at the forum http://www.fcka.net/home/ It's the local kayak club and has a lot of information on this area. You may be able to link up with some of thier members to fish with.
I am member of that forum also. I seem to get more info here than on there.
SO MOTE IT BE
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

you cant get into the Plantation to launch. the closest public launch is under the bridge which leaves you a five mile paddle to the cut. The State park puts you closest to good areas without so much distance. You cant catch fish paddling, only fishing.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
hops

Post by hops »

I am a member of the Kayak forum as well. SGI is a good place to start out of. The boat ramp early in the morning go to the right. 100 yds or so off shore use top water Heddon spook mirro lure white colors. Or troll 3" DOA shad tail white. If u use shrimp and a kayak you will catch catfish and sharks and other fish that u do not want to deal with in a Kayak. I have a hobie pro angler and I use a and a 15ib anchor I am sure u can get a way with a 10 lb. You can do just fine running parallel to the beach in either direction right or left. early is a key and topwater or plastics I personally hate live bait this time of year due to trash fish. And a kayak is too hard to deal with all that in the small space.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

You will catch all the fish you want at the state park. Please be careful in a yak at the cut. That water is rough on a good size boat at times. The bay will turn on you very quickly.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Lanark Kayak Launch.jpg
Lanark Reef is also a great place to kayak.
The girlfriend and I fished there a couple of weekends ago and had
a great time. We launched from a dirt ramp that is just west of
Lanark Market.