Bass Fishing from kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Topdog13

Bass Fishing from kayak

Post by Topdog13 »

Looking to start trying to fish new lakes in the Tally area but not really sure where to go. Any advice on some places I can catch bass out of a kayak would be greatly appreciated! Couldnt really find any info on where to go so anything is helpful
fishdux

Re: Bass Fishing from kayak

Post by fishdux »

There are several options for you in the area. I would start by exploring Lake Jackson. The bass should be pre-spawn and heavy this time of the year. Another great spot would be Piney Z. They have a hand launch only ramp and you dont have to deal with all the big boats. Finally, if you aren't scared of gators I would try St Marks refuge. There are several lakes but I would try East River Pool first. It has a hand launch only ramp and boats are allowed starting March 15 through October. Make sure you pay attention to the well posted signs on the lake though, some parts are closed because of the birds. Good luck and catch em up!!
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

Jackson and Talquin are the easiest lakes where there are multiple places to launch and get to the fish. I fish Jackson often, as do several others in yaks. Iamonia is another option, though for me, I prefer the other two lakes mentioned.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Piney z by far, you aren't allowed to keep them and no boats to contend with.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

On St Marks Refuge, there are monsters in Stoney Bayou Pool #2, about a 3/4 mile hike/kayak portage from Lighthouse Road.

Monster bass, and monster alligators. In that pool, I have had extremely close encounters with both. If you are careful, it's worth the risk.
Topdog13

Post by Topdog13 »

I currently fish Piney Z quite a bit and some other small farm ponds but not catching many fish lately so im looking to expand my areas where I fish. Thanks for all the answers guys! I honestly never even thought about the St. Marks pools I always assumed that they were all salt because of how close there are to the coast but it sounds like an area I need to try!
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

All good suggestions so far. Piney Z can be good at times and terrible at others. The "other" St Marks Refuge in Panacea has some good ponds that are only open part of the year, you can reach some of them off Surf Road and the rest through the gate at Otter Lake when it's open. The Wakulla and St Marks rivers can be good at times too.

If you feel adventurous, the city park pond behind the El Camino Motel on South Monroe St has some nice 'uns in it.. Or did a few years back. I had some days of 15 fish in a couple hours throwing topwater there when the water was low. Would recommend snake boots and a piece, given the neighborhood.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Lake Munson has been looking great lately! I dont know that I'd eat a fish out of there but its fully stocked and they are hungry.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Agreed with all of the above. The lake off of South monroe is called Campbell's pond. There are very nice bass and crappie in it- I used to live on it. Leave before dark....that hood has gotten rough.

Munson- last time I went...admittedly a few years ago....was looking great and healthy, with awesome bait and bird populations, and even nesting eagles. The bass should have made a full recovery by now. Launch at the first ramp heading south.....not the park.
You can launch over near the airport into lake Hiawatha.....which at full pool, gives you access to lake Bradford. Only if you have 4x4 though.....unless there's enough water in the ditch going under the road to launch. If there's ALOT of water there....you can actually paddle under Cap cir and fish lake casscade, which is a cypress lake over behind the old car rental place. Lots of very nice fish in Hiawatha and Bradford. Casscade, ime, needs to have a solid 6mos of water in it to be productive enough to bother fishing it.....it dries up alot.
Jackson, Talquin, miccosukee, lake Carr, iammonia are all great places. Putting in on the ocklocknee at the 90w bridge is awesome as well. So is fishing below the dam on hwy 20.

Good luck! Let us know how you do!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk