Kayaking Newbie

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Kayaking Newbie

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Just purchased my first kayak. It's a Hobie Outfitter Tandem. Plan on using it in ponds around the house and also a little flats fishing. Not going to venture out too far until I get accustomed to it. Thinking about taking it down to SGI this weekend and doing a little fishing out of it. Staying in close till I get my feet wet.(pun intended) I know the area pretty well from a boat as I fish there often but I do not know all the areas accessible from land to launch a kayak. My aunt lives on the bay side and I plan on getting used to it around her place. The area is pretty clean and shallow and I'm very familiar with that area. If I plan on adventuring to different places where would be the best? I will add I'm not attempting the ocean side! Lol
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Kayaking Newbie

Post by silverking »

Another enlistee in the plastic navy. :lol: They can be a lot of fun, good exercise, plus they give you the ability to sneak into places where only Beavertail Skiffs can go.

You can launch at the Boy Scout ramp and the oyster boat ramp inside SGI State Park. There's also access from the campgrounds, but you'll probably want a cart or a buddy to help tote it. Little bit of a hike to the water but a closer paddle to the East End flats.

Tucker Lake in Bald Point State Park is a really cool spot, kayaks and canoes only-launch. Haven't tried there other than the winter. Trout and reds can be good there.

Levy Bay and Oyster Bay are both good, along with Wakulla Beach, the long bar off the St. Marks Lighthouse and the best spot, IMO, is the Hickory Mound creeks and flats.

Have fun. You probably need a sea anchor for your new ride. I know where you can get one, cheap. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Where's Hickory Mound at? Not familiar with that area.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Last time I tried to get to Hickory Mound the road was too flooded over for me to try it with the Volkswagen.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Skunk wrote:Where's Hickory Mound at? Not familiar with that area.

Just east of Econfina River/State Park. The rains do play havoc with the gravel/sand access roads. Can get there directly off Hwy 98 past the Econfina turn-off or by crossing the river just past the RV park on the main road. Watch for the brown management area signs. You can use Google Earth satellite imagery to see all the winding creeks and fishy possibilities.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat