Looking For Some Yakkers to Fish With

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

YAK178

Looking For Some Yakkers to Fish With

Post by YAK178 »

Background: I'm 24 & moved in December from Guntersville, AL to Tallahassee for a job. I've recently gotten into kayak fishing. My work schedule leaves me with not a lot to to do every 2/3 days (Read as: My girlfriend is tired of me destroying the house and I've noticed I talk to the dog more often- 90 lb Doberman.) I've been to Silver Lake and Jackson with not a lot of success. Mainly looking for out of the way "ponds" in the National Forest and smaller lakes. Also open to small rivers. I'm NOT looking for somebody's honey hole to fish- rather a honey hole to find with a buddy.

My current set up is a Pescador Perception Sport that's been converted into an angling kayak. I'm new, but a quick learner.

I fish on Talquin a couple days a week with my girlfriend's dad, but I have a Kayak for a reason.. I've been looking for a kayak group that fishes near Tallahassee, but it doesn't exist. Soooo, any takers?

PS: I DO NOT LIKE ALLIGATORS. Yes, I know I'm in FL. No, I still don't like them.
Mods, I apologize if I posted in the wrong place.
Can'tCatchAnything

Re: Looking For Some Yakkers to Fish With

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I'm your huckleberry if you ever want to try inshore. I'm down to try for stripers and big cats in freshwater too.

and check out fcka.net.

PM me, we'll talk.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

If you ever get comfortable with gators, look me up. I kayak fish saltwater creeks, and target the ones with the biggest gators, cuz that's where the fish are.
YAK178

Post by YAK178 »

GaryDroze wrote:If you ever get comfortable with gators, look me up. I kayak fish saltwater creeks, and target the ones with the biggest gators, cuz that's where the fish are.
I don't think I'd mind it as bad if there was more than 1 person, but gator's just kinda freak me out- They're sneaky & screw everything up. Also I stepped on a log when I was duck hunting one time... I thought it was a gator. I thought I was gonna die. I ended up falling in 2 feet of water & catching myself on my arms before my waders started filling. The was not a good day.

Plus I have a gator head in my living room and my dog HATES it. He's cool as long as you don't get it near him.

Back on topic- you fish around St. Marks/Carrabelle?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

You can find out where I fish & get tips by reading Big Bend Coastal Angler Magazine. Free at many convenience stores & sporting goods outlets.

I have infrequently stepped on gators while wadefishing. The key to surviving is to jab the rod tip at their snout, so they snap at the pole, not your leg.
mhstiles

Post by mhstiles »

GaryDroze wrote:If you ever get comfortable with gators, look me up. I kayak fish saltwater creeks, and target the ones with the biggest gators, cuz that's where the fish are.
Gary, We've not met but i know you from your running exploits. Unfortunately for me we're in the same age group. I'm new to the kayak scene and would really like the opportunity to pick your brains or accompany you on a trip sometime so i can learn the red-fishing ropes in the St. Marks area.
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

Whats up guys. My wife and I are seriously considering moving to the Crawfordville Area...just 30 minutes outside Tallahasse next fall. I would love to get in a Yak fishing group! Sounds like alot of fun.
badweatherbiker

Post by badweatherbiker »

just found this forum, spent most of my time over on FCKA but I am wanting to fish closer to home as my 2 jobs don't leave me with much extra time. I am in Madison County and I was a regular around the Carrabelle, St Marks, SGI, Cape San Blast area but I hear there are some good spots in Taylor County and its only an hour away.
If anyone doesn't mind someone tagging along until I learn the area I'd sure appreciate it!

Ken :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Welcome to Florida, I'm also an Alabama transplant.
Check out the forgotten coast kayak association. Fcka, they don't post much anymore, but some solid kayak anglers over there, sweet and salt water.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
cotton

Post by cotton »

badweatherbiker wrote:just found this forum, spent most of my time over on FCKA but I am wanting to fish closer to home as my 2 jobs don't leave me with much extra time. I am in Madison County and I was a regular around the Carrabelle, St Marks, SGI, Cape San Blast area but I hear there are some good spots in Taylor County and its only an hour away.
If anyone doesn't mind someone tagging along until I learn the area I'd sure appreciate it!

Ken,

Lots of us FCKA'rs fish Taylor County. From Tallahassee its just as close as many of the spots you use to fish.

Check out google earth from Hickory Mounds East. You'll find lots of places for your yak.

Fenhollawy, spring warrior, Yates creek, fish creek, etc..

The waters are darker and more shallow, but at times more productive.

I fish every Sat, not always in the salt. Send me a pm in Sept and we will fish the launch of your choosing with you.
badweatherbiker

Post by badweatherbiker »

cotton wrote:
badweatherbiker wrote:just found this forum, spent most of my time over on FCKA but I am wanting to fish closer to home as my 2 jobs don't leave me with much extra time. I am in Madison County and I was a regular around the Carrabelle, St Marks, SGI, Cape San Blast area but I hear there are some good spots in Taylor County and its only an hour away.

Ken,

Lots of us FCKA'rs fish Taylor County. From Tallahassee its just as close as many of the spots you use to fish.

Check out google earth from Hickory Mounds East. You'll find lots of places for your yak.

Fenhollawy, spring warrior, Yates creek, fish creek, etc..

The waters are darker and more shallow, but at times more productive.

I fish every Sat, not always in the salt. Send me a pm in Sept and we will fish the launch of your choosing with you.

Cotton, I really appreciate it man I'll drop you a message sometime in Sept. I'll have to take the Sat off though as I work every weekend, do you ever fish weekdays? I have been checking out Spring Warrior on google earth may try it first.
Thanks again!