Alligator Harbor

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

NCSalty

Alligator Harbor

Post by NCSalty »

Hello all, down from NC with the kayaks. I was looking at sun and sand along with Leonard's landing . I was wondering from the experts here which might be better.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Harbor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Depends on where you want to go.

There is also a public landing about a half mile before the marina on the right. It would be fine for a canoe. It is at the first curve after the water tower on the right.

EDIT: Leonard's is closer to the west end of the point. Here is a map of all three. Depends where you are and where you want to go!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
NCSalty

Post by NCSalty »

Thanks for the info Double, I was wondering if any of those fish better than the others. Wanted to pick the one where I might have the best luck at.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

There is a shallow area straight off the end of the point inside the channel markers. I have had good luck catching trout there. Also keeps you close to land because it can get rough up on the end sometimes. Would just be a little jog over from Leonard's.

Good luck!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

The area you're referring to is an area I've always known as "the spits"...that's what my grandparents and parents have always called it. "The spits" got its name because years ago, at low tide, that area whole area would be exposed and covered in scallops and mussels that would "spit" when you got near them. When they dredged out the channel to the harbor, the scallops disappeared and never made a comeback.

Word to the wise about kayaking in the areas near the mouth of the harbor: A strong east or West wind can kick that area up pretty good, and while there isn't a ton of boat traffic, there are some sizeable boats that run that channel. Make sure, particularly if you fish early in the morning or late in the evening, that you're visible to other boaters. I nearly had an incident last summer when running the channel at dark when a group of kayakers (ocean kayaks, the long, skinny ones) were paddling across the bay in the middle of the channel--no one had lights, nor were there any life jackets visible to me. I was in a flats boat, and only doing about 30, and I didn't see them until I was within 60 yards of them...had one of the many larger boats that come in and out of the bay been in my place, someone likely would have been seriously hurt or killed.