Crabbing

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Florida268

Crabbing

Post by Florida268 »

Who here has caught crabs out of a kayak. I watched a few videos on YouTube and it looked really fun and productive.
2Salty

Re: Crabbing

Post by 2Salty »

Many times, with wire drop basket traps marked with floats or a trot line with dropper lines (with no paddling, electric trolling motor, steering with foot pedals).
If the water is clear and shallow, blue crabs can be "spooky" and will scurry out of basket traps as kayak approaches to pull up traps. Wire drop basket traps may need to be weighted depending on current.
If using a trot line with dropper lines try to find a straight stretch of remote creek or marsh area with little to no other watercraft traffic (to stay out of others' way).
In Florida recreational blue crabbers are allowed 5 traps/person. Saltwater license required.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Last time out of Weeki Wachee I came across several big ones that I could've just netted with my rubber landing net. I usually don't fish in waters deep enough that I can't just net one if I want him.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I take mine all the time. I go near low tide, put in at a creek and wade with a crab net. I keep a bucket on the yak for the crabs, and I'll use the yak to cross deep holes that I can't wade across, or areas where the mud is too sticky. It helps to keep the yak tied to you as you wade so that the tide or wind don't steal it from you. You can catch enough for dinner in an hour or two if you're in the right creek. You might wanna use some kind of shoe or foot protection if the creek has oysters. Traps would make it less work, but that's a lot to carry on a kayak, plus people may steal or rob your traps. Now that winter's over and summer is settling back in, it may not be a bad weekend for it!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Florida268

Post by Florida268 »

Thanks Guys.
bman

Post by bman »

I'm always amazed how many we see at Hickory Mound.
At low tide we could scoop up a dozen easy from a yak.

Now I think the toad is still closed from storm damage.
but keep it on your short list.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

bman wrote:I'm always amazed how many we see at Hickory Mound.
At low tide we could scoop up a dozen easy from a yak.

Now I think the toad is still closed from storm damage.
but keep it on your short list.

Those toads don't eat that many crabs! :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat