Kayak access at Lanark

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Kayak access at Lanark

Post by eightwt »

Any suggestions for kayak put in at Lanark Reef. Thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Kayak access at Lanark

Post by silverking »

There's a vacant lot on the south side of Hwy 98, about a 1/2 mile west from the boat club ramp. Not a bad paddle/pedal out to the reef. Can't remember the intersecting street, but there are usually a couple vehicles parked there. There's also a couple dirt access lanes in the stretch between Lanark and Carrabelle that are usable for the west end of the reef. Unless you know someone though, the eastern end is hard to get to since it's fronted by private property (along 98 from the ramp heading back towards SummerCamp).
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Can you not put in at Lanark boat ramp/store?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't know of any restrictions against it, but you'd be dealing with boat traffic plus I suspect the club would want a launch fee. Still a long trek to the end of the exposed eastern part of the reef/Bluefish Pass.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the info. Planning on scouting the area in the near future
Century2180

Post by Century2180 »

I always put in at lanark great place $5 parking fee with no trailer $10 with. But look for this house 1/2 mile past lanark put in there off the beach more secluded. No one lives in this house Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks, will keep my eye out for it? Quick ?, is the east end generally better or other reason that it is mentioned?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Both ends can be good. The eastern half is the series of exposed barrier islands (bird sanctuaries) plus another stretch of mostly submerged shoal while the western section beyond twin channel posts is always submerged, albeit shallow.
Mentioned east because like St. Marks, most boats have an automatic left turn signal when exiting the boat club ramp (or beyond the lighthouse).

In less than 6 weeks you'll be able to walk from skiff bow to skiff bow Gulf-side down the eastern section of Lanark Reef as the carpet-baggers show up in force. The courteous thing to do is paddle right up next to them and ask if the flounder are biting. :wink:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Dang S/K, you ain't right !! :smt005 You gonna get someone in a situation, lol
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Yep I'll be sure to do that Silver... Too old to fight, too slow to paddle, so I guess I'd just have to shoot them... Hopefully I can wave as a Nantucket sleigh ride takes me out to sea!!! LOL
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Lock 'n Load. :thumbup: