Flounder

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbynum229

Flounder

Post by bbynum229 »

Anyone know of any good places to Target flounder. And any tips on how to fish for them?
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Re: Flounder

Post by guthooked »

I can usually pick up a few in the mouth of big pass bouncing a jig head and curly tail grub of the bottom. White with yellow tail. I'm by no means an expert but it works for me.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

They like sandy bottoms and to lie right outside a pier next to the pilings. Good luck.
Yours in the South
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

We saw a guy catch a real nice one at Mexico Beach 2 weeks ago, fishing the pilings. I couldn't find any but caught a lot of other stuff.
Yours in the South
bbb

Post by bbb »

Seawalls, bridges and dock pilings are a great place to start.

Some folks have their own private inshore spots around underwater structure.

When I target flounder by hook and line, I'm usually around St George Island/Apalachicola.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Any tips for a new yaker on catching some flounder maybe around the lighthouse, Wakulla beach areas?
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

bbb wrote:Seawalls, bridges and dock pilings are a great place to start.

When I target flounder by hook and line, I'm usually around St George Island/Apalachicola.
At SGI, are they ever found in on the bay side? We stay in the summer there and fish from land.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Any sort of structure with some current flowing around it and sand nearby will work. You really don't want a ripping current, just a good flow. Position your kayak so you can fish the toe of slope along the channel. (Where the side of the channel stops sloping down and hits flat bottom). You can use Gulp 3" Shrimp on a jighead, but don't bounce the jig like you do when fishing for trout or reds. Instead, just drag it along the bottom 2 - 3 feet, pause, then repeat. Live shrimp hooked backward on a jighead or fished with a hook and split shot will also work. Small pinfish, finger mullet or mud minnows are also good candidates.

Don't set the hook too early. A flounder takes a few seconds to get a bait down. Also, when you get a hooked one near the boat, try to pull sideways instead of straight up with your rod. Flounder are excellent at spitting the hook right back at you alongside the boat if you pull straight away from their mouth.

There you have "Stinson's Flounder Theory" in a nutshell.

- Steve Stinson
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

We've caught a few lately at Keaton while fishing for redfish around the oysterbars. Usually once we drift off the oyster bar we'll catch one.
bbb

Post by bbb »

AugustusMccrae wrote:
bbb wrote:Seawalls, bridges and dock pilings are a great place to start.

At SGI, are they ever found in on the bay side? We stay in the summer there and fish from land.
Under the bridge, old causeway, Bob Sikes cut are all good summer spots. Get you a couple dozen mud minnows and your set.