How do you subdue sharks?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: How do you subdue sharks?

Post by big bend gyrene »

And no offense to the FWC officer but rereading thread Silverking did a better job answering by clearly stating firearms can't be used to kill (subdue) versus the more open to interpretation "harvest" alone. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

bbb wrote:I think turtlecat is just saying that if anyone does have a gun onboard and chooses to use it on a shark, the law may not be so lenient if you also have a bucket of empty beer cans onboard. I don't think he was calling anyone a drunk. ;)
And yall call yourself sailors :smt005 Who goes fishing without beer and guns
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:
bbb wrote:I think turtlecat is just saying that if anyone does have a gun onboard and chooses to use it on a shark, the law may not be so lenient if you also have a bucket of empty beer cans onboard. I don't think he was calling anyone a drunk. ;)
And yall call yourself sailors :smt005 Who goes fishing without beer and guns
Not me :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I was a real sailor (USN, 1980-88). Didn't say I wasn't armed, just that I don't use my .45 to corral Mr. Jaws. And as my fishing buddies can attest, the trip starts with a ceremonial splash of Heineken over the side as a sacrifice to the fish gods. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

silverking wrote:...as my fishing buddies can attest, the trip starts with a ceremonial splash of Heineken over the side as a sacrifice to the fish gods. :wink:
Yeah, but is that Heineken splash pre-consumption or post-processing? :wink: :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I'm a serious practitioner of recycling, but the toast is definitely pre-consumptive. :lol:

In answer to the OP, don't think I'd like to invite any sharks aboard my kayak. Recipe for disaster. On a boat, however, a long-handled gaff and a fish billy club like those solid fiberglass ones made by Shakespeare, would put one into a deep sleep. Be sure to check the regs carefully and know your species IDs. Many different types of sharks are now off-limits to harvest due to conservation measures.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

I was thinking the same thing. If there's no good way to subdue one, bringing it into the yak is probably not going to happen. I asked the FWC officer how he would suggest I deal with Mr. Jaws before I tie him to the boat or drag him into a cooler and he said for me to call him. I did so and left a message and got no call back.

On a side note - anyone know where to get bait (live shrimp) between Tallahassee and St. Mark's lighthouse?
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Sometime target practice just seems right....and, should a shark get into the line of fire....well :o
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

easy way to get the FWC rule changed is to film the subduing of a landed shark with blunt force, label it FWC approved shark harvest.
850-273-8818
deer30084

Post by deer30084 »

You don't. :)