Levy Bay

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BillytheKid

Levy Bay

Post by BillytheKid »

Looking at putting out in the yak this weekend on bottoms rd to try the Levy bay Piney island area. I have never fished this area and am just getting into kayaking. Any areas tips or areas to hit or avoid? I was looking at possibly heading left of the ramp and trying up the feeder creek and the area around piney possibly? Also is there a charge for launching there?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Levy Bay

Post by Steve Stinson »

No fee that I know of. Especially to launch a kayak since you don't really even need the ramp. A while back, there was a plague of vehicle break-ins there, but I think that has subsided.
If you leave the ramp and head East toward Piney Island I have caught fish both along the shoreline and also along the West side of Piney Island. The West side of the island might be good if you are fishing Saturday because I believe the wind is supposed to blow out of the E / NE so you would be sheltered once you got out there. In a kayak I do best keeping a topwater on one rod and a jig / Gulp bait on the other. Fish topwater in 2' - 3' and toss the jig in the cuts around the oyster bars and points.

- Steve Stinson
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

One thing I forgot - Don't stringer your fish. I have lost more than one stringer of fish over in that area to large sharks. Get a soft-sided cooler to put your catch in. :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good advice from Steve. I always launched next to the ramp at the end of Levy Bay road. The bay is shallow but plenty of good places to fish, including some of the coves/creeks due south and southwest of the ramp. Some good oyster bars and several feeder creeks to explore. My best combo was always a topwater and Aqua Dream gold spoon, with a CAL 5.5 jerk bait in new penny or pearl a close third.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't planned on using a stringer for that exact reason.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

With the forecasted winds this weekend, you might want to really consider launching in Levy Bay. The paddle from bottoms will be against the east wind.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Ended up not going on Saturday due too taking the family kayaking the Wakulla river. I did manage to get away on Sunday, but the winds were pretty bad when I got to the ramp on bottoms rd that I decided not to chance it. I did check out skipper bay rd and put in on the tidal creeks for a while. Didn’t get anything but was more inclined on checking out the area and start paying my due’s.