Ascend 10t

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BillytheKid

Ascend 10t

Post by BillytheKid »

Anybody have an Ascend 10t kayak? I'm looking for opinions, pros/cons etc... I am thinking about looking for one to use as an alternative to my 12 footer.
J Holden

Re: Ascend 10t

Post by J Holden »

I had the 12 version, floor cracked under the seat in less than a year and it developed a mysterious leak that nearly sank me twice miles from civilization way up the Aucilla. Lost my receipt and neither bass pro nor ascend would do anything about it.

Someone stole it a while back and I chuckle every time I think of them getting halfway across Miccosukkee or Iamonia during alligator mating season and sinking.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

J Holden wrote:I had the 12 version, floor cracked under the seat in less than a year and it developed a mysterious leak that nearly sank me twice miles from civilization way up the Aucilla. Lost my receipt and neither bass pro nor ascend would do anything about it.

Someone stole it a while back and I chuckle every time I think of them getting halfway across Miccosukkee or Iamonia during alligator mating season and sinking.
That would be poetic justice, now wouldn't it? :lol:

Haven't used one personally but the established brands like Hobie, Jackson, Native Watercraft and Wilderness Systems would be a more reliable bet than those from the big box stores. I actually like the longer length--14--for more room and storage, plus straddle the waves. Not as easy to portage, though. I bought one of the T-Bone truck racks from Austin Kayak and it's great. Will rack two yaks with ease and keep them secure while driving.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I have a couple of longer 12' yaks, but am looking at picking up a shorter lighter one. I like having my fish cooler up front and prefer to have a yak with an open area up front. I am not against one of the better brands, but it would have to have the correct layout and fit within my budget.
dirtroad

Post by dirtroad »

Have you looked at the 10 foot Kaku Wahoo? It has the open front area you are looking for.
Silverking, what is your opinion on the Wahoo?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not familiar with the brand, so no opinion. Short/long, both have advantages and disadvantages. Always a good idea to try a few different yaks before buying, if possible.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

They wahoo isn't as open as I was looking for. I don't need a hatch up front. I would rather have and open area. Most of the yaks I have and have owned were bought used with the exception of my last one. I was at walmart (of all places) and they had a 12' yak that I wasn't familiar with for over $500. Long story short it had some scuff marks on it so they ended up marking in down to $197.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphin- ... y/56222861 I love the open deck space and have tons of room for whatever I want. The only downside is it is a little on the heavy side. I'm looking for a yak in the 10' range with the same open concept that's lighter that I can throw in the back of my 4runner and for when I don't want a larger yak.