First time in my kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: First time in my kayak

Post by GaryDroze »

Can you tell me the brand/model of what you described in your first post? I would like to either buy yours or get one from the manufacturer!

Gary Droze
850-942-7333
gdroze@maclay.org
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

onefishtwofish wrote:
procraftwes wrote:I had a kayak but at the end of the day it was just a heavy thing I had to transport without a trailer. It was getting out of hand from there so I just decided to get a small boat with a small outboard. Floats just as skinny, can stand up, bring a cooler, etc.

I never enjoyed maneuvering around in a kayak and always seemed to dip a rod or just want it out of my hand to handle fish. They tore up really fast.

Kayak fishing is great but it isn't for everyone and if you don't truly enjoy paddling then the hardships aren't worth it IMO. Just another perspective.
Good points. I have a 18' Ranger Cayman and I co-own a 14" Aluminum with my nephew (I own the motor, he owns the boat). We use that for 2 man skinny fishing.

I just found that I wind up at Mashes Sands alone (or with the wife who does not like to fish) and I would not go fishing due to launching and fishing alone. So I tried the kayak and had a blast. I can haul it down for short trips where I am fishing alone. It is not ever going to be my primary fishing tool. Just a fun way to get out for 3-4 hours alone.
I hear you. I have a big 36' trawler that I keep a fishing dinghy on.. Thinking about giving the fishing kayak another go since the little motor gave up. I liked fishing from the Yak just didn't like transporting it around... Having a pickup rather than an SUV is probably a big part of why I gave up.
cotton

Post by cotton »

I’ve been doing the kayak thing now for over 10 years. I would only go back to a boat if I someday I have grandkids. I own 3. Each has a different purpose. They range in weight from 40 - 100 lbs. I fell in love because it reminds me of the lifestyle I grew up with. We could have never afforded a boat.

I can usually tell if someone will fall in love with kayak fishing in 30 minutes. If your someone who enjoys a challenge and doesn’t mind a little discomfort. Then kayak fishing might be for you. But if your that guy that stays home everytime the weather, an ailment, or something else goes wrong, then don’t bother.

There are kayaks available today for everybody. Regardless of size and physical ability. If you decide to buy one be sure the one you buy matches the type of fishing you plan to do.

I haul my smallest one to MO every year and lower it down a 12’ river bank by the anchor rope. My largest is exclusively for the salt.
cotton

Post by cotton »

GaryDroze wrote:Can you tell me the brand/model of what you described in your first post? I would like to either buy yours or get one from the manufacturer!

Gary Droze
850-942-7333
gdroze@maclay.org
Gary,

You might want to check out the native ultimate 12. It weights 44 lbs and has a nice seat. Seems perfect for your creek fishing.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Now I'm looking for something I can put a supercharged lithium battery trolling motor on. I have a Torqeedo that weighs just 29lbs (motor included) and it goes so fast that I swamp my 12ft canoe at half throttle! It basically thrusts like a 4hp outboard. Searching for a square stern canoe or layout boat with a wide transom.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Gary have you looked at the Nucanoe models?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Gary

Do you mean the puddler? The one in my first pic? It is pointed on both ends. Would be hard to rig a motor. The one I have was made by a guy in south Florida. I have about 4 people that want one but he never returns my texts or calls. He may not be making them anymore. A shame. They are awesome. No one gets in mine that doesn’t want one. I have a buddy that has not splashed his in years but he won’t sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

This guy uses a torqueedo on the model I just bought.

https://youtu.be/ZhVjpDvJd_I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Cool. That's exactly the Torqeedo motor I have. Good to know it works with that kayak. I only weigh 145, so I bet I could hit 6+ knots in that rig. Thanks for the info!

I can see potential in the Nucanoes also. They look very stable.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

In another video he says he weighs 210, so you are right, I bet it would move!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gary, take a look at the solo skiffs, they are super cool. Shields sells them. They put 3-5 hp on them and they run 16- 20 mph I believe.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Took the Voodoo out for the maiden voyage. No joy on fish, but was good to learn how stable it is. I stood and fished in calm water quite easily. Wind kicked up and it was a little choppy, made for a little slower paddle, but it handled it very well.

I also now know where I will be fishing if there is ever a black drum tournament. Saw them by the tons! Might even target them one day for fun.