First time in my kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

First time in my kayak

Post by onefishtwofish »

So, what I have is not really a kayak. It is similar to the Carsten's Puddler, but made of carbon fiber and very light (like 45#). Paddles real well and has plenty of room for me. It is a sit in style cockpit.
3179922.jpeg
3179922.jpeg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
Although I CAN stand, it is not adviseable. I am a big feller and I am no longer a kid (truth is painful). I used a chair I use for turkey hunting and need more back support than it gave. I was sore, but good sore, not crazy sore. But the fishing was a blast. I was able to see reds tailing and slip up nice and quiet. It was real fun, although I only caught one, I did a lot more looking than casting, as I was learning a new place. It needs some sort of runner/skeg, whatever you call it as it spins pretty bad, not while paddling, but while fishing.

I am going to buy a better seating system, probably will make something for now. As long as my legs have some ability to stretch out and be a little elevated, I am fine. It was nice to just toss it in and go fishing from my place at Mashes Sands. Lots of times I end up down there without anyone else to fish with me.

So, I am considering (just looking right now) some kayaks. That way if someone is with me I have an extra for a guest. The British Kayak Company has one that has a 450 weight rating and looks like a good beginner one to start ($797). I need to keep the price reasonable, as it will never be my main fishing method. If it is a real rough day, I will stay in safe water or take the big boat. I would definitely consider used, but $750 is really top of the mark if I decide to pull the trigger. I will be loading from pickup, so weight is not a real big issue. Anyone have any suggestions of other options I should look at within my price range?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: First time in my kayak

Post by silverking »

I really enjoyed fishing out of my Native Watercraft. It has a modified tunnel and is very stable. I have the 14.5. Good seating system, too (we have the same physical considerations :wink: ). Haven't used mine in awhile, but it's in dry storage and all set up the way I want it so I'm hanging on to it. Good back-up if the skiff is ever in the shop, too.

You might check with Wilderness Way or some of the other shops about their rental fleet. Most sell used every couple years. Craig's List and the kayak forum are more possibilities.

I would recommend budgeting one of the T-Bone carriers into your mix. It slides into the truck receiver and really works great for solo or twin yaks. Cargo straps cinched down are fine for short distances, which is probably all you need at the condo.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Already have the T for the receiver. I used it before I had my TWO trailers I now own for hauling lumber in my pickup. So good to go there.

Thanks. Will check those out. Any other ideas out there?
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

The biggest priority for me for a kayak is a comfortable seat. If I can't be comfortable fishing all day it ain't worth it. Personally I like an open front deck layout which is hard to find in a kayak. A lot of them have hatches or something in the way. I like as much flat open deck up front as possible for the way I like to fish. If you can try out a few different yaks to figure out what suits you as far as layout goes, rod holders, tracks, etc...You also need to find an anchoring system that works for you whether it's a stake out pole, micro pole, anchor trolley, or just an anchor tied off to your yak. I personally like the anchor trolley because it allows you to anchor from front, back, or wherever using the same anchor. This helps with picking your anchor point depending on the current, winds, etc... I have a 10' yak that I just throw in the back of the truck that is easier to manhandle and drag around. I also have a 12' that I trailer with a trolling motor. It is more cumbersome, but for all day trips the motor is very handy. There are a lot of good used yaks on the market also. I would also recommend talking to Harry Smith over at Harry Smith Outdoors. He has some yaks you could try out and get a feel for what you want.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I have a Brooklyn Coastal Cruiser. It's a tandem because most of the time my wife is with me. It does fine with just one person also
It's 12 foot 9 inches long and 34 inches wide. The best part is it has a 770 pound weight capacity. Just weighs 70 pounds. It also has the lawn chair type seats. Not sure what the official name is of these seats, but they are great. I'm 67 years old with RA and other old man ailments and I do fine in it all day.
It's got a flat bottom and is very stable for standing up, but still tracks great. Only cost $987.00 delivered price with two paddles and the custom seats. The picture shown is with standard seats. Mine has the custom seats.
Attachments
UH-TK122-GRY-PS223_ANGLE_WITHACCESSORIES_DSC_0365_720x.jpg
Semper Fi
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend- ... camo-kayak

I would consider the Ascend 12, I have this one and it's very comfortable for an all day trip. it's a sit on top which is nice and will keep your legs from being cramped up. it's fairly stable as well. has plenty of storage and rod holders. priced well too.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I have the Ascend 10t and 12t. The seats are very comfortable. On the 12t I raised the seat and it is much more comfortable and easier to stand. Also allows for more under seat storage. Also take into consideration that what works for me might not for someone else. I'm 5'11'' 165 and fished all day Sat and most of the day Sun from the 12t with me, 6 rods, net, trolling motor, compact deep cycle battery, small lunch cooler and other misc gear. It's not the perfect kayak, but it fits within my budget and meets most of my needs.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

So I pretty much followed nothing I said I was gonna do. :smt005 I just sold a camper and had money in my grubby paws and decided to "buy once, cry once". After doing a bunch of research, I knew I wanted to be able, just occasionally,to stand up and rest my back. At my size and height, there are not a lot of options. But a visit to tallyyakkers changed that. I wound up with a hybrid kayak/paddleboard (that's what folks call it, it is really a decked kayak) made just south of my hometown in Tarpon Springs (I'm from NPR). It is a Kaku Voodoo.
voodoo.jpg
voodoo.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
I can stand easily (would not in waves). The seat is crazy sturdy and comfortable. It tracks pretty good. Reasonably easy to paddle for it's size. Much higher visibility just sitting in the seat for sight fishing and even better when sitting on the seat back or standing. I actually feel more stable standing than seated on the seat back, although I paddled around from both positions. Won't be able to fish it tomorrow (my daughter wants a river trip for her birthday). But hopefully this coming Wednesday or weekend I can get it on the water and get some blood on the deck. I have been looking at a bunch of videos for accessories and going to start light and see what I think I need to trick it out. I figure to fish it and then say "Man, it would be nice to have XXXX". I'll snap some pics on the water at some point.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I had a kayak but at the end of the day it was just a heavy thing I had to transport without a trailer. It was getting out of hand from there so I just decided to get a small boat with a small outboard. Floats just as skinny, can stand up, bring a cooler, etc.

I never enjoyed maneuvering around in a kayak and always seemed to dip a rod or just want it out of my hand to handle fish. They tore up really fast.

Kayak fishing is great but it isn't for everyone and if you don't truly enjoy paddling then the hardships aren't worth it IMO. Just another perspective.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

You will love the voodoo, they are pretty comfortable and stable.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's a really cool rig, Doc. Almost like a Texas scooter boat without the 200-hp outboard. :lol:

The best accessory I ever bought was a Stick-It anchor pin with lanyard. Can't tell if yours has an anchor trolley, which helps position the pin according to tide/wind. But looping the lanyard over the seat frame or handle will work. The pin is quiet, doesn't take up much room and doesn't tear up a bunch of sea grass when you pull it. Much easier to use than an anchor and I had both. With the kayak I was fishing shallow anyway so the pin was ideal. Looks like you're set otherwise with the Engel cooler/dry box and rod holders. Grab a handful of DOA shrimp and you'd be good to go.

If you want to add a second yak down the road for guests, Academy and BPS have sales all the time on beginner models.

https://stickitanchorpins.com/shop/
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

procraftwes wrote:I had a kayak but at the end of the day it was just a heavy thing I had to transport without a trailer. It was getting out of hand from there so I just decided to get a small boat with a small outboard. Floats just as skinny, can stand up, bring a cooler, etc.

I never enjoyed maneuvering around in a kayak and always seemed to dip a rod or just want it out of my hand to handle fish. They tore up really fast.

Kayak fishing is great but it isn't for everyone and if you don't truly enjoy paddling then the hardships aren't worth it IMO. Just another perspective.
Good points. I have a 18' Ranger Cayman and I co-own a 14" Aluminum with my nephew (I own the motor, he owns the boat). We use that for 2 man skinny fishing.

I just found that I wind up at Mashes Sands alone (or with the wife who does not like to fish) and I would not go fishing due to launching and fishing alone. So I tried the kayak and had a blast. I can haul it down for short trips where I am fishing alone. It is not ever going to be my primary fishing tool. Just a fun way to get out for 3-4 hours alone.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

First time in my kayak

Post by onefishtwofish »

silverking wrote:That's a really cool rig, Doc. Almost like a Texas scooter boat without the 200-hp outboard. :lol:

The best accessory I ever bought was a Stick-It anchor pin with lanyard. Can't tell if yours has an anchor trolley, which helps position the pin according to tide/wind. But looping the lanyard over the seat frame or handle will work. The pin is quiet, doesn't take up much room and doesn't tear up a bunch of sea grass when you pull it. Much easier to use than an anchor and I had both. With the kayak I was fishing shallow anyway so the pin was ideal. Looks like you're set otherwise with the Engel cooler/dry box and rod holders. Grab a handful of DOA shrimp and you'd be good to go.

If you want to add a second yak down the road for guests, Academy and BPS have sales all the time on beginner models.

https://stickitanchorpins.com/shop/
When I sold my brother my skiff, I told him since I had a Power Pole on my new ride, the stick it anchor I had bought was on permanent loan to him until I needed it. Hate to tell him, but I need it!

No anchor trolley but I have been reading how to make one that is no drill and easy on/off. I will start with that.
Last edited by onefishtwofish on May 11th, 2019, 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

silverking wrote:That's a really cool rig, Doc. Almost like a Texas scooter boat without the 200-hp outboard. :lol:
It will run a single 250! :smt005