Good put-in/fishing spots in the Big Bend Area for kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tallyfins

Good put-in/fishing spots in the Big Bend Area for kayak

Post by Tallyfins »

Hi - long time fisher, first time poster!
My buddy has let me borrow his fishing kayak and I'm all geared up and ready to go!
I went fishing with Captain Mike in his boat out of St. Marks last month, and got a couple of places to try near Shell Point (via kayak). The paddle to where he pointed out seems a little long (but I'm willing to try it out at some point).

I went out on my own yesterday from the LIghthouse and fished the point just out (and west) from the boat launch. The weather wasn't too bad, but @#$% it was windy! That made for some interesting fishing. I'd paddle for about 10 minutes into the wind, set my anchor, and then drift back on the anchor to where I started (about 30 minutes later). I fished the shoreline for the most part and wandered out into the channel some as well. Got on the water about 730am and (unfortunately) fished the outgoing tide. I managed to side hook a mullet (almost landed him) and then had a near keeper size trout right up to the kayak before he jumped off. Other than that, not a whole lot of action. It was, at least, a great day on the water! I saw a bald eagle swoop in front of me for a mid-morning meal and saw dolphins feeding as well. So, the day was not a total loss!

As the weather begins to cool down (eventually), I'm looking for a relatively easy place(s) to put in around the St. Marks area where I can fish for redfish. This is what I REALLY want to catch. I've eaten redfish all my life, but have never caught one. I now officially have the bug!

I found this video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeIvD5ilr6c&t=5s) and it looks to be a decent place where they lauched from and looks like they are immediately into fishing.

Again - any and all help would appreciated. I don't necessarily want to know your 'secret fishing spot', but some general help in the right direction would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks, Tallyfns
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Good put-in/fishing spots in the Big Bend Area for kayak

Post by silverking »

There are several good places to kayak fish along the Big Bend. The action near the mouth of the river/lighthouse/East River will be picking up as the water starts to cool. The oyster bars are all good spots, but you do have to be careful with boat traffic.

Wakulla Beach is another worthwhile location. Good creeks to the east and west. Oyster Bay is another with launches off Shell Point Beach or at Blue Dolphin ramp.

The eastern end of Alligator Harbor has lots of oyster bars and spoil islands.

The best kayaking fishing area, hands down, is Hickory Mound. Short paddle to the Gulf and the creeks will hold fish during the winter months. I'd recommend wearing rubber boots or waders during the colder months since you may have to get out and drag the yak through some mud and skinny water.

Good luck and post up results from your exploration.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Check out the often-forgot FCKA.net launch location map:

Also, great report! Hope you continue to contribute, as it was a fun one to read.

Thanks!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

You can find redfish along the oyster bars at Shell Point where Captain Mike showed you. It is a very short paddle to begin fishing. If you are new to kayak fishing, I highly recommend a dip net with about a 3 foot handle for managing fish boatside. Lots of fish (like your trout) are lost right at the yak. Also, I like to have some control over toothy critters with a mouthful of treble hooks rather than have them in my lap.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I primarily kayak fish, and frequent the shell point area a lot. The blue dolphin ramp into oyster bay area has a lot of oyster bars to fish for reds. You can also beach launch at shell point and there are a lot of grass beds. It can get really shallow out there at low tide though.
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

Thanks all. I will definitely try the Shell Point bar. We fished that with Capn Mike and caught some huge black drums (25-30lbs). He said they were too wormy to eat, but me and my 2 sons had a great time catching them.

I also plan to fish the 2 creeks (West Goose and East Goose?) off of Wakulla Beach. From looking at the maps, it appears West is a slightly less paddle? Anyone have any suggestions on there?

From reading other posts on here and the Kayak site, I also want to try the 'Sun n Sand' boat ramp at Alligator Point. Someone mentioned how it's out of the wind in that area.

Definitely have a few places to try! I'm exciting about getting out on the water. Now if the weather will just cool off!

Thanks again,

TF
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

Finally made it over to Wakulla Beach yesterday afternoon a few hours before low tide. The conditions weren't optimal but it was nice to get on the water and check the area out. I decided to go towards East Goose Creek and try my luck there. When I got there, I thought it was kind of small based on the maps and I found out later when I looked again that I went into a smaller arm before the main creek. Oh well, live and learn.
There was at least some activity in there and I was also out of the wind, which made the fishing easier/more enjoyable. I found a few trout but none were keepers. I at least broke the kayak in and have caught a fish from it! (baby steps lol)

I plan to go back out again this Saturday morning ahead of the low tide (9am) and fish the incoming tide. I'll probably go to West Goose Saturday. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm really open to anywhere. I know it's hot and the fish aren't biting as much as they will be in a month or so, but I've got the fever.

If someone thinks I'll have a little better luck elsewhere, I'm all ears. I checked out the FCKA launch site and would also be willing to try out either the Shell Point Beach launch, the Blue Dolphin Boat Ramp, or even over at Alligator Point at the Sun-n-Sand ramp.

Thanks, TF
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Yeah the FCKA site is not very active anymore, but hit has a lot of good information on it. I have spent many hours searching and reading on there.
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

Yea, when I first went there a few weeks ago, it wouldn't allow me to create an account. I emailed the Admin but never heard back. Seems they don't want any new members. Oh well :)
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Tallyfins wrote:Finally made it over to Wakulla Beach yesterday afternoon a few hours before low tide. The conditions weren't optimal but it was nice to get on the water and check the area out. I decided to go towards East Goose Creek and try my luck there. When I got there, I thought it was kind of small based on the maps and I found out later when I looked again that I went into a smaller arm before the main creek. Oh well, live and learn.
There was at least some activity in there and I was also out of the wind, which made the fishing easier/more enjoyable. I found a few trout but none were keepers. I at least broke the kayak in and have caught a fish from it! (baby steps lol)

I plan to go back out again this Saturday morning ahead of the low tide (9am) and fish the incoming tide. I'll probably go to West Goose Saturday. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm really open to anywhere. I know it's hot and the fish aren't biting as much as they will be in a month or so, but I've got the fever.

If someone thinks I'll have a little better luck elsewhere, I'm all ears. I checked out the FCKA launch site and would also be willing to try out either the Shell Point Beach launch, the Blue Dolphin Boat Ramp, or even over at Alligator Point at the Sun-n-Sand ramp.

Thanks, TF
Fishing is tough right now or at least for me. I've been skunked without any keepers 2 trips in a row..

I'd call that a success. You can also launch just over the Ochlockonee bay bridge @ 98 and fish under the bridge.. At least there's shade and there's some monster black drum under there.
mitchamafied

Post by mitchamafied »

I can often find redfish near the bars in the river mouth, its not too bad of a paddle as long as the wind isn't too horrible. However, I primarily fish a little further south in Taylor county.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

You can put in @ the lighthouse with some reasonable effort. Basically where the road dead ends @ the parking lot for the lighthouse, there's an opening in the trees, easy launch other than a few large rocks to work around depending on how much you care about kayak scratches.

This puts you near a creek, on the grassflats for trout and typically there's plenty of reds in the area. I catch more fish here than @ wakulla beach but would still fish there for the isolation.
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

ok thanks. I may try that area by the lighthouse next week when the conditions are more favorable. Looks like its gonna be windy and choppy this weekend on the water due to the pending TS.
I put in at the boat ramp and went West the last time I was there. Someone else also suggested just off from the lighthouse so I will certainly give it a try.'

Thanks again everyone for the tips. As I learn any good spots I find, I'll share them as well!

TF
Flyfisher86

Post by Flyfisher86 »

The kayak access at the lighthouse has been fairly calm for the last few days. There's been a little wind, but I'm fishing out of an academy 10' sit-in kayak and haven't had any issues. Lost a couple good trout about 300 yds off the old pier. Snagged a few good reds on Saturday and Sunday fishing the oyster bars.
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

I ended up going to Alligator Harbor Saturday due to the forecasted winds and as the morning went along, the wind definitely picked up. I know others have said that area is more protected, but I think I also read that depending on the direction of the wind, it won't matter. The winds were out of the E/NE on Saturday and paddling back across the harbor at the end of my trip was no bueno.
The good news is, there was lots of activity. My buddy and I caught a keeper trout each. I caught a flounder that was just legal but I decided to give him another chance. I also caught a grunt. He caught a small redfish as well. So they're definitely getting more active. On the paddle back I must have startled about 50 fish, so that's good news. Now if this damn weather will just cool down some... :smt010 :smt010

This weekend's fishing is supposed to be good. If I can get on the water, I'll need to decide if I want to go back to Alligator Point or maybe try off from the Lighthouse.