Big Rig FD

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlyrodC

Big Rig FD

Post by FlyrodC »

Man, for a flyfisherman, the Big Rig pedal drive is aces. I have a 2014 Big Rig, paddle kayak that I'll be putting up for sale soon but wanted to give a quick update on the F&B of the Big Rig pedal Cadilyak.

* Hands free fishing
* Flyrod storage for up to 4 rods, I typically take 2
* Clean, open surface between your legs greatly reduces fly line tangle
* Easy to use rudder so that a fella can easily modify positioning, by pedaling of course.
* Stability, my original BR is very stable and I stood up and cast many times. The new rig is even wider and more stable.
* The propeller system is pretty much permanent in this kayak and has a mechanism by which the prop pops up if you accidentally find yourself in shallow water. My buddies have a Native and a Hobie and both have done damage to their prop/fins by hitting Oyster bars unexpectedly. No such issue with mine.
* Speed, I bet I could do 5mph in this thing.

Downer - it's heavy (145#) and during these times of social distancing, loading it in the truck by oneself, uphill when taking out at a ramp, is a bit of a PITA.

And yeah, took it out to St. George yesterday and touched fin 9 times. 8 trout and a Pup Red. 2 keeper Trout including one fat, 18"er. It was such a good looking fish that I was convinced it had to be more than 18" and measured it a second time when I got back to the ramp. Was still 18". Was using Dupre spoon, gold and a new version I'm tying of the Clouser, made of Silver & Black flashabou.
J Holden

Re: Big Rig FD

Post by J Holden »

Loving my Coosa FD so far, sure the Big Rig is just an even bigger more stable version!