First trip in a kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

First trip in a kayak

Post by PhishingNole »

I purchased a Feelfree Lure 13.5 a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to take it out today.

This was my first time in a kayak since summer camp as a kid (~25 years), so there was precisely one objective today, don't flip over.

I launched out of the lighthouse shortly after sunrise and and spent an hour getting comfortable with the paddle, seat adjustment, and rudder system.

Went out to the grass flats and snagged a 13" trout on soft plastic paddler on a 1/8 hook. Tried popping a gulf shrimp with no luck.

I paddled deep into a cove east of the lighthouse and started working the paddletail again, snagging two more trout, neither over 15".

Finally caught what I was after at about 10:30 when a 22" red bit. Got him in the cooler and decided I better quit while I was ahead.

Interestingly, all four fish were pretty lazy bites. On two of the three trout, I was hesitant to set the hook because I couldn't tell if it was a pinfish or a trout. The redfish was sitting in a little hole in the grass, so I'm pretty sure it was just an opportunistic strike when the bait landed in front of him.

This yak is like paddling a bathtub, but it's very stable and a great platform. My shoulders are going to be sore for a couple days, but overall it was a great experience.

Thanks for all the advice and I look forward to more reports like this one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Re: First trip in a kayak

Post by Red Beard »

I admire folks who like kayaks, my back won’t tolerate it so I live vicariously through y’all.

Look forward to seeing where the yak takes you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Nice report, thanks. I assume you accomplished your objective?! I’ve been wondering what fishing in a kayak would be like, looks like good exercise (which I need) and hopefully cheaper than maintaining a boat.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

I stayed dry, mostly. Had to get my paddle and technique adjusted so I didn't drop water on myself every stroke. I also had to pee at one point and started to pee off the boat, but I decided against it and just paddled to a 1' spot and stepped out. I've seen videos of guys doing jumping jacks in this specific kayak, but I'm not there yet.

Honestly, once I started getting back into the coves, it was never really deep enough (6" - 2') to tip it if I tried.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Leonreno, check your PMs.

PhishingNole, way to christen the new yak! It'll get easier with experience and muscle memory. :wink: Stealthy approach for working the shallow Big Bend waters.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
badweatherbiker

Post by badweatherbiker »

Where were you fishing at St Marks? I would be down for a trip there one day soon if anyone wants to meet there I have never kayak fished there. I have been covered up with work for 3 years and haven't done much of anything but I am itching to do some more paddling and fishing.
Fishbster12

Post by Fishbster12 »

Nice report! Reds are fun in the yak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk