Kayak trip

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Kayak trip

Post by onefishtwofish »

Been very busy at work and building a house so fishing has been non-existent for me. Had a trip with the family planned and decided to sneak in a kayak trip with a buddy.

Tried a new spot and had a tough time until about 9:30. Then they turned on for about 45 minutes. Two reds, a ladyfish and 2 trout. One of the trout was very nice 23-24 inches. I lost my net during the paddle out. Did not bring it over the side but it was a nice fish. All fish caught on bone white skitter walk. Nothing hit spoon or jig. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Srbenda

Re: Kayak trip

Post by Srbenda »

Thats a nicely setup kayak!
All photos copyright @saverymill
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks. I am still tweaking. I built a little tray under the seat the slides in and out to hold lures, pliers and plastic gripper. Ordered place to store paddle and stick it pin now. I made an anchor trolley before this trip and it is perfect.

I can sit on the backrest and paddle which was nice to get a little height and see the fish better. Very stable and paddles pretty good. Won't win any races, but it was not too bad of a paddle back in.

I have not solved where to put fish, but 99% of the time, I am only keeping one red - trout get tossed back. So I am thinking a little soft side cooler behind the Engle. I am using it for dry storage.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Just sold mine, but I really enjoyed it and caught a lot of fish out of it. Also used it to explore new places that I wouldn't go in the boat.

I had Covertime Upholstery in Tallahassee make me a custom fish bag. It was waterproof vinyl and the insulation was 1/2 inch closed cell foam. Kept a bag of ice cold all day and it was long enough to hold an upper slot red. There are some aftermarket soft fish bags available (Canyon Gear and others), but none really fit well into my stern, so Jan @ Covertime came up with the perfect solution.

Polar Bear makes the larger soft coolers that will work but eventually a fin will puncture the liner and it starts to leak. They've also gone up in price the last couple years.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks for the ideas. Since I am only toting one red, I know it is at risk of getting shark eaten, but I tied it with a quick release (like used to tie a horse to a post). I was real shallow so not real worried, but would like to get one on ice anyhow.

It will never replace my flats boat, but is a great option for a quick trip when I am at the beach with just the wife.
Unwound

Post by Unwound »

onefishtwofish wrote:Been very busy at work and building a house so fishing has been non-existent for me. Had a trip with the family planned and decided to sneak in a kayak trip with a buddy.

Tried a new spot and had a tough time until about 9:30. Then they turned on for about 45 minutes. Two reds, a ladyfish and 2 trout. One of the trout was very nice 23-24 inches. I lost my net during the paddle out. Did not bring it over the side but it was a nice fish. All fish caught on bone white skitter walk. Nothing hit spoon or jig. Image

Nice rig! What do you call that? Is that a kayak, a microskiff, or a stand up paddleboard?
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Think I was fishing close to you about three weeks ago off the long bat at St. Marks. If it was you saw you catch a huge red. Quite a rig you have. We had a good time that day catching five slot trout after we started drifting away from the long bar out over the flats. Also still trying to solve the kayak fish storage problem. Both my friends in a tandem and I had three foot black tips circling within ten minutes of putting them on a stringer. Makes me think about when I used to wade in Tampa bay as a kid with a stringer around my waist.

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »