Hagen's Cove kayaking

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

badweatherbiker

Hagen's Cove kayaking

Post by badweatherbiker »

Anyone her do any paddling there? I used to camp and fish and scallop there when I was a kid but I haven't been there in years. I wanted to take my daughter there one morning next week for a little paddling and some fishing, any tips on what to use or where is a good spot? Is it even too shallow to get around? We would arrive around 8am and would have to leave by noon so I can make it to work. I have also heard about vehicles getting broken in to does this usually happen there? How are the scallops there or is there any brain eating bacteria in the waters there? Lol I just wanted to check before I drove the hour and a half and it was a bust and my girl didn't have fun, thanks!
TheReelPapaSquat

Re: Hagen's Cove kayaking

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

I enjoy kayaking Havens Cove, especially first thing in the morning. If the tide is too low, you may have to walk your yak out thru ankle deep mud a little ways before you can paddle. Not to bad tho. I have only scalloped once so far this year, and I headed south, around Piney Point in front of Grassy Island Not a bad paddle, but with time constraints, you may not want to head that far. I've scalloped in years past straight out, and towards Sponge Point. Seems like they get a little further out. I wouldn't even start looking until I was in line with both points. The gnats and dog flies can be a little hungry, bring spray. I've never had a problem with my vehicle there, and haven't heard of any issues this year, but I'd be sure to lock up and leave valuables out of sight. Hope you have a great paddle.
badweatherbiker

Sounds great! Do you fish much there too? Shoot me a message if you go back soon
TheReelPapaSquat

Will do. I normally fish further north between Spring Warrior and Rock Island.

Kayaking from Adams Beach is also great and it's easy to launch. Not sure about scallops, but good fishing.
badweatherbiker

Thanks for the tips I thought about spring warrior too I'll check it out and also Adams beach. I didn't want to go anywhere to busy with traffic my daughter is pretty young and will or paddling her own kayak
badweatherbiker

One more question it says on Fishangler that high tide is at 10:15 so we should be good to launch at 8:30 AM and still be able to paddle back in at noon right?
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

High tide shows as plus 3 feet. Low is around 6PM and still plus 0.7. You should be able to paddle in and out of Hagen’s Cove at those times without problem. I’ve had great success for scallops in past years taking the yak over towards big grassy. Still fairly shallow over there so best to be on top of the high tide. Can’t say about fishing. Hagen’s cove has been my go to place for scalloping out of the kayak. An hour closer to Tallahassee than St. Joe Bay. Never had an issue with my vehicle there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
badweatherbiker

Thanks that's what I figured, I haven't been there in years where is big grassy. I will have to be out of there by noon so if it's close I'd love to check it out. Are you in Tally? I am in Madison county, would love to meet up sometime if you are going that way
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Big Grassy is the island just south of Hagan’s cove. Where I have had success is paddling around past Piney Point and then out in the open area between the point and the island. It is about a mile to 1.2 mile paddle but I have always had better success there than paddling straight out from the cove. Also the water is shallower and I tend to prefer scalloping in five feet or less.
I am from Tally. Not sure when I plan to go to Hagans cove next. I just put my motorboat in Shields Marina at the beginning of the month after three years on the waiting list. As Apalachee Bay has scallops this year I’m not sure if I’ll make it that way this year. Although I just got a trolling motor for my tandem yak that needs initiation. . .

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Also suggest the Navionics phone App. Great for measuring paddles and checking mean low tide depth.

badweatherbiker

Thank you sir for all your help! I downloaded a 2 week trial to navionics I'll check it out. I was just at St Marks a couple weeks ago we fished and scalloped July 3rd, did ok on the scallops but didn't catch much. I went out with a friend that lives on the Wakulla.
badweatherbiker

We had a great time out there today, weather was perfect and not much traffic. We never got a line in the water we were having so much paddling and exploring but we did run into a few scallops. I will be going back soon, thanks everyone!
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Glad to hear! I’ve always had great days there.

TheReelPapaSquat

[We had a great time out there today, weather was perfect and not much traffic. We never got a line in the water we were having so much paddling and exploring but we did run into a few scallops. I will be going back soon, thanks everyone!]

It looked like perfect weather. Glad y'all had a good trip.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve never been here but I was thinking about checking it out since I’ve gotten pretty good with the castnet. If I walked around enough just throwing it could I catch a few? While I’ve gotten pretty good with the cast net, I can’t say I’ve gotten much better figuring out what they heck mullet are doing or thinking lol!